International community urged to push harder for Azerbaijani blogger’s release

first_imgNews AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia Condemning abuses Council of EuropeCorruptionImprisonedJudicial harassment President Ilham Aliyev’s regime continues to turn a deaf ear to all the calls for the release of Mehman Huseynov, whose hunger strike entered its fourth week today. At his family’s request, he is now consuming liquids and some yogurt, for its calcium content. Held since 2017, he started the hunger strike when new charges were brought against him that could prevent him from being released on completion of his sentence in few months’ time. “Only a strong and persistent international campaign could persuade the Azerbaijani government to free Mehman Huseynov and stop harassing the country’s last critical journalists,” said Johann Bihr, the head of RSF’s Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk. RSF_en January 16, 2019 International community urged to push harder for Azerbaijani blogger’s release News Despite the many calls for Huseynov’s release in Europe and the United States, the Azerbaijani authorities have so far limited themselves to reporting that he is in good health and accusing “anti-Azerbaijani” forces of exploiting the situation. The prison authorities have nonetheless allowed his father and diplomats to visit him. Jailed since March 2017 for allegedly “defaming” the policeman he said had tortured him while he was previously detained, Huseynov is well known as a blogger for criticizing the regime and denouncing high-level corruption. June 4, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Azerbaijan Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on the international community to step up pressure on the Azerbaijani authorities, who are still refusing to free the blogger Mehman Huseynov and withdraw new charges against him, three weeks after he began a hunger strike that has triggered a steadily mounting campaign for his release. RSF urges the European Parliament to approve the emergency resolution reflecting these concerns that is due to be submitted tomorrow. The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) has also announced that it will debate the worsening human rights situation in Azerbaijan during its next session. Receive email alerts He is also the president of the Institute for Reporters’ Freedom and Safety (IRFS), a media defence NGO that has repeatedly been targeted by the authorities. It is now run from abroad by his brother, Emin Huseynov, a fellow-journalist who had to flee the country. When their mother died last August, Mehman Huseynov was not allowed to pay her a final visit. Organisation center_img AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia Condemning abuses Council of EuropeCorruptionImprisonedJudicial harassment Help by sharing this information Azerbaijan is ranked 163rd out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2018 World Press Freedom Index. The leading critical media outlets have been silenced or have had to relocate abroad, the main independent websites are blocked, at least ten journalists are currently in prison, and the activities of NGOs that support the media have been criminalized. The additional charges against Huseynov are part of the new crackdown on the country’s last dissident journalists. to go further News RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan April 9, 2021 Find out more June 8, 2021 Find out more Other journalists and activists have been sentenced to up to 25 days in administrative detention for demonstrating in support of Huseynov in early January. “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says Russian peacekeepers deny foreign reporters access to Nagorno-Karabakh News “The Aliyev regime’s impunity must be ended without delay. We call on the international community to impose targeted sanctions on the leading figures involved in the crackdown and to condition any improvement in relations on the restoration of pluralism and the rule of law.” His protest has triggered a remarkable wave of solidarity in Azerbaijan, where civil society is subjected to draconian persecution. Around 20 dissidents have begun their own hunger strike to call for his release and the release of other political prisoners. They include the well-known journalists Khadija Ismayilova and Tofig Yagublu, the imprisoned journalists Fikret Faramazoglu and Elchin Ismayilli and the imprisoned blogger Rashad Ramazanov. last_img read more

‘Stand up and fight’ to bring Limerick military history to life

first_imgLimerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live TAGSfeaturedFirst World WarGallipoliIrish Naval AssociationlimerickLimerick archivist Jacqui HayesLimerick Branch of the Royal British LegionRoyal Munster FusiliersStand Up and Fight Advertisement Twitter WhatsApp Email Facebook NewsLocal News‘Stand up and fight’ to bring Limerick military history to lifeBy Alan Jacques – April 30, 2015 1677 Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Printcenter_img Linkedin The Royal Munster Fusiliers drumming up recruits in Limerick in 1914.(Photograph by H M Stewart, 104 O’’Connell Street)by Alan [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The Royal Munster Fusiliers drumming up recruits in Limerick in 1914.(Photograph by H M Stewart, 104 O’’Connell Street)FLOWERS sent to a Limerick mother from her son on the front lines of the First World War and an oar from one of the Lusitania’s lifeboats are just two of the rare artefacts that will go on display at City Hall next week.‘Stand Up and Fight’, an exhibition supported by the Limerick Branch of the Royal British Legion, the Royal Munster Fusiliers Association and the Irish Naval Association, will be launched next Thursday, May 7.Never before seen artefacts will be displayed as part of the exhibition of Limerick’s military history from the Wild Geese to Gallipoli.It coincides with the centenary of the Gallipoli campaign that claimed the lives of 800 members of the Royal Munster Fusiliers, 75 of whom were from Limerick including eight men from the village of Coonagh who died when their ship was torpedoed.Conservative estimates suggest that 1,000 of Limerick’s 4,000 listed men died in the First World War.Items on display will include flowers sent from from Ypres by a Limerick soldier to his mother in Limerick; an oar from one of RMS Lusitania’s lifeboats as well as cannonballs and musket balls from the Siege of Limerick.Also included are pikes from the time of the 1798 Rebellion; a bloodied apron worn by a Limerick nurse serving in a First World War field hospital and rare photographs of the American Civil War, Boer War and First World War.“From the departure of the Wild Geese in 1691 to the Limerick men who fought in the Boer Wars, Limerick is steeped in military history,” explained city archivist Jacqui Hayes.“Limerick’s location on the Shannon means it has always been a strategic military stronghold. There were four barracks in Limerick in the nineteenth century and soldiers were a familiar sight.”The ‘Stand Up and Fight’ exhibition will feature memorabilia and militaria from Limerick Museum and Archives’ own collection as well as donations by private collectors and members of the public.Also featured are American Civil War army uniform buttons produced by the Limerick-based Tait Clothing Factory, which held military uniform supply contracts with the Confederacy as well as the British Army during the Crimean War.While much of the exhibition is concerned with the participation of Limerick men and women in The Great War, it also deals with Limerick’s long military and naval tradition as well as the military culture that started in earnest in the 17th century and has lasted since.“While primarily focusing on Limerick’s lengthy military history, the exhibition also examines the impact of the military on Limerick’s social history in these centuries, such as the numbers who joined the armed forces; particular areas which had a tradition of recruitment; family military traditions and the role of women,” Ms Hayes commented.The exhibition looks at some of the careers of Limerick men who fought in the British army all over the world. One of them, George de Lacy Evans from Moig, Askeaton, was involved in the burning of the White House by the British in 1814. He also made a major contribution to army reform by successfully campaigning for an end to flogging in the British army.‘Stand Up and Fight’ runs from May 7 until December at the Glazed Street, Limerick City and County Council Civic Buildings, Merchants Quay. Previous articleAAA join the fight for ‘full equality’ in LimerickNext articleAfghan ‘golden boy’ claims crash ruined his life Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed livelast_img read more