Leading TV political presenter released

first_img June 16, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Leading TV political presenter released NigeriaAfrica News Reporters Without Borders welcomes the release of Gbenga Aruleba, a well known presenter of a political programme on privately-owned African Independent Television (AIT), one day after he was arrested.Aruleba was beaten up and held with two common-law criminals serving long sentences after his arrest on 15 June. He was picked up by police who complained that he used a pejorative term “tokunbo”, meaning something inferior, when referring to the presidential plane. He has now been summoned to appear in Abuja on 19 June at the offices of the State Security Services (SSS). “Gbenga Aruleba has repeatedly faced a variety of accusations and this time bizarre ones, demonstrating the extent to which the SSS hounds critical journalists particularly when it involves a president doing his best to remain in power” the press freedom organisation said. ———————–15.06.2006 – Intelligence agents arrest current affairs presenter in raid on TV studioReporters Without Borders today demanded the immediate release of Gbenga Aruleba, the well-known presenter of a current affairs programme on the privately-owned African Independent Television channel, who was arrested when around 10 members of the State Security Service, a domestic intelligence agency, raided AIT’s studios yesterday.“There is absolutely no justification for the heavy-handed methods used by the SSS against Aruleba,” the press freedom organisation said. “Worse still, they gave no explanation after arresting him in this outrageous manner. The Nigerian government should realise that this type of operation will just increase civil society defiance towards the authorities.”Reporters Without Borders added: “In view of the fact that 2007 will be an election year, we are particularly concerned about the prospects for civil peace if the SSS continues to be used as a mechanism for censorship.”Yesterday’s SSS raid was on AIT’s studios in the Asokoro district of the federal capital, Abuja. Witnesses said the SSS agents seized videotapes and recording equipment. A friend of Aruleba told Reporters Without Borders Aruleba was being held at SSS headquarters in Abuja. No explanation for his arrest was offered by the authorities. Aruleba presents “Focus Nigeria,” a programme in which politicians are invited to discuss current affairs.Yesterday’s operation came exactly a month after an earlier raid on AIT’s studios on 14 May in which SSS agents seized the videotape of “A Documentary on Tenure Elongation,” a programme about all the unsuccessful attempts by previous Nigerian rulers to remain in office longer than they were supposed to. Nigeria’s oldest privately-owned TV station, AIT has been in the government’s sights since it began carrying live broadcasts of the national assembly debates about an amendment to the 1999 constitution proposed by President Olusegun Obasanjo’s supporters that would have allowed him and the state governors to run for another four-year term. The national assembly rejected the amendment a few days after the May raid.A habitual perpetrator of commando-style raids on the privately-owned media, Nigeria’s SSS was included last year in the Reporters Without Borders list of Press Freedom Predators. RSF_en News Nigerian news site deliberately blocked, expert report confirms January 28, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Nigeria February 8, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information center_img News to go further June 10, 2021 Find out more News Twitter blocked, journalism threatened in Nigeria NigeriaAfrica Nigerian investigative journalist forced to flee after massacre disclosures Organisation Receive email alertslast_img read more

Dail set to return this evening with Junior Ministers stepping in

first_imgHomepage BannerNews News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Pinterest Harps come back to win in Waterford WhatsApp Twitter DL Debate – 24/05/21 Twitter Pinterest Previous article357 new cases of Covid-19 confirmed and 3 additional deathsNext articleRNLI tow broken down boat to safety News Highland Google+ By News Highland – September 15, 2020 center_img Google+ It’s after the entire cabinet has been told to restrict their movements pending a COVID test for Health Minister Stephen Donnelly.Donnelly began feeling unwell this afternoon following this morning’s cabinet meeting and his colleagues will work from home until the result of a test.Earlier this evening Ceann Comhairle Sean O Fearghail said the Dáil would be suspended until next week – but it’s now set to return this evening. WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Facebook Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty Dail set to return this evening with Junior Ministers stepping in Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Facebooklast_img read more

Drive-By Truckers Take Over The Tabernacle In Atlanta [Gallery/Full Audio]

first_imgThe Drive-By Truckers brought their rock and roll reckoning to The Tabernacle in Atlanta, GA last night, playing to a packed house of eager fans. Touring on the heels of their 2016 effort American Band, the Truckers proved themselves more than capable with a powerhouse performance. The band mixed old classics with new tunes for the show, and worked covers of John Lennon and Neil Young into their setlist for some great rock and rollin’.Thanks to EMily Butler Photography, we can see a photo gallery of images from the performance. Check that out, as well as an audio recording from taper Dillon Fries, below. Load remaining imageslast_img

Lena Hall to Star as Yitzhak in Broadway’s Hedwig and the Angry Inch; Neil Patrick Harris Extends His Run

first_img Featuring a book by John Cameron Mitchell and a score by Stephen Trask, Hedwig and the Angry Inch tells the story of a fictional rock ‘n’ roll band, fronted by Hedwig (Harris), a transgender woman and “internationally ignored song stylist” from communist East Berlin. Between rock songs, Hedwig regales the audience with both humorous and painful stories about her life, including her botched sex change operation. Trask’s score includes “Tear Me Down,” “Wig in a Box,” “Wicked Little Town,” “Angry Inch” and more. View Comments Related Shows Hall is currently starring as Nicola in the Tony-winning musical Kinky Boots. Her other theater credits include The Toxic Avenger, Tarzan, Dracula, 42nd Street, Cats, Bedbugs and Green Eyes. Hall’s TV and film credits include Sex and the City, The Stepford Wives, The Graduates, All My Children and Legally Blonde, the Search for the Next Elle Woods. Show Closed This production ended its run on Sept. 13, 2015 Lena Hall Kinky Boots star and The Deafening frontwoman Lena Hall is joining Broadway’s Hedwig and the Angry Inch as Yitzhak. Starring Neil Patrick Harris as the eponymous rock star and directed by Michael Mayer, Hedwig will begin performances March 29 at the Belasco Theatre, with an official opening night set for April 22. Harris also announced that he’s extending his run with the production by four weeks due to popular demand. Harris will now star in the show through August 17. The members of Hedwig’s band, “The Angry Inch,” will be music director Justin Craig, Matt Duncan, Tim Mislock and Peter Yanowitz. The creative team for Hedwig and the Angry Inch features scenic design by Julian Crouch, costume design by Arianne Phillips, lighting design by Kevin Adams, hair and makeup design by Mike Potter and sound design by Timothy O’Heir. Want a sneak peek of Hall as Yitzhak? Check out this photo she posted on Instagram back in November! Star Files Hedwig and the Angry Inch Neil Patrick Harrislast_img read more

EPL: Leicester beat Sheffield, boost top-four hopes

first_imgRelatedPosts Ighalo: My best moment as ‘Red Devil’ EPL: Foxes attack Burnley EPL: Crystal Palace stun sloppy Man U Leicester City boosted their hopes of finishing in the Premier League top four as goals by Ayoze Perez and substitute Demarai Gray secured a 2-0 home win over Sheffield United.The result left Leicester fourth on 62 points from 36 games, three ahead of fifth-placed Manchester United who were visiting Crystal Palace later and one behind Chelsea in third. Sheffield United stayed eighth on 54 points, two behind sixth-placed Wolverhampton Wanderers who occupy a Europa League qualifying spot.Having won only one of their last six league games, Leicester needed a victory to get back on track in their bid to secure a berth in next season’s Champions League and they delivered with a dominant performance.Perez fired them ahead in the 29th minute with a crisp low shot from 14 metres after a fine cut-back by 19-year-old debutant Luke Thomas and Gray sealed the contest in the 79th with a clinical finish.The Foxes missed a string of chances to win by a bigger margin as visiting goalkeeper Dean Henderson made several reflex saves while top scorer Jamie Vardy hit the outside of the post shortly after halftime.Tags: Ayoze PerezCrystal PalaceLeicester CityManchester UnitedSheffield Untiedlast_img read more

Moreno set to have high price tag

first_imgLiverpool could face more frustration in their pursuit of summer transfers after Sevilla president Jose Castro warned left-back Alberto Moreno will not come cheap. The 21-year-old has been a target for Reds boss Brendan Rodgers for some time and while there have been talks between the two clubs, they have yet to agree a fee. Liverpool’s improved £25million bid for Adam Lallana has already been rebuffed by Southampton, who will not consider selling anyone until they have a new manager in place, and now Castro is talking up the price of Moreno. “We have received no communications in that regard. “In this last season, Fabio gave a considerable contribution towards keeping Sunderland up. “He was praised by everyone, especially by the Liverpool manager Rodgers. “So, after his holidays he will go back to Liverpool to prepare for the new season wearing the shirt of this historic club. “He wants to compete with everyone and be an extra resource for the coach and the team. “Borini could be of use to any team, but no-one has contacted us and his desire is to show what he’s got at Liverpool.” “It’s true that there’s interest from Liverpool and we’re waiting to see if that turns into a reality, which right now, it isn’t,” the president told the club’s television channel. “What I’m clear about is that we’ll not force anyone to stay at Sevilla. “Whoever wants to leave can do so – but we’ll be the ones setting the prices. “This club is experiencing a time of economic stability and we don’t need to sell. “We’re going to be firm about this and we’ll only consider selling outside the market, which gives us the opportunity to make our team competitive.” With a World Cup just around the corner, Rodgers is trying to get his business done early but aside from Rickie Lambert, who Southampton let go for a fee of £4m, deals for Lallana, Moreno and Bayer Leverkusen’s Emre Can are far from completed. Lambert’s arrival on Monday has bolstered Liverpool’s attacking options but fellow forward Fabio Borini, who spent last season on loan at Sunderland, does not intend to be forced out by the England international. “Does Lambert’s arrival close the door on Fabio Borini? No, I don’t think so,” Borini’s agent Marco De Marchi told tuttomercatoweb.com. Press Associationlast_img read more