International community urged to push harder for Azerbaijani blogger’s release

first_imgNews AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia Condemning abuses Council of EuropeCorruptionImprisonedJudicial harassment President Ilham Aliyev’s regime continues to turn a deaf ear to all the calls for the release of Mehman Huseynov, whose hunger strike entered its fourth week today. At his family’s request, he is now consuming liquids and some yogurt, for its calcium content. Held since 2017, he started the hunger strike when new charges were brought against him that could prevent him from being released on completion of his sentence in few months’ time. “Only a strong and persistent international campaign could persuade the Azerbaijani government to free Mehman Huseynov and stop harassing the country’s last critical journalists,” said Johann Bihr, the head of RSF’s Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk. RSF_en January 16, 2019 International community urged to push harder for Azerbaijani blogger’s release News Despite the many calls for Huseynov’s release in Europe and the United States, the Azerbaijani authorities have so far limited themselves to reporting that he is in good health and accusing “anti-Azerbaijani” forces of exploiting the situation. The prison authorities have nonetheless allowed his father and diplomats to visit him. Jailed since March 2017 for allegedly “defaming” the policeman he said had tortured him while he was previously detained, Huseynov is well known as a blogger for criticizing the regime and denouncing high-level corruption. June 4, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Azerbaijan Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on the international community to step up pressure on the Azerbaijani authorities, who are still refusing to free the blogger Mehman Huseynov and withdraw new charges against him, three weeks after he began a hunger strike that has triggered a steadily mounting campaign for his release. RSF urges the European Parliament to approve the emergency resolution reflecting these concerns that is due to be submitted tomorrow. The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) has also announced that it will debate the worsening human rights situation in Azerbaijan during its next session. Receive email alerts He is also the president of the Institute for Reporters’ Freedom and Safety (IRFS), a media defence NGO that has repeatedly been targeted by the authorities. It is now run from abroad by his brother, Emin Huseynov, a fellow-journalist who had to flee the country. When their mother died last August, Mehman Huseynov was not allowed to pay her a final visit. Organisation center_img AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia Condemning abuses Council of EuropeCorruptionImprisonedJudicial harassment Help by sharing this information Azerbaijan is ranked 163rd out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2018 World Press Freedom Index. The leading critical media outlets have been silenced or have had to relocate abroad, the main independent websites are blocked, at least ten journalists are currently in prison, and the activities of NGOs that support the media have been criminalized. The additional charges against Huseynov are part of the new crackdown on the country’s last dissident journalists. to go further News RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan April 9, 2021 Find out more June 8, 2021 Find out more Other journalists and activists have been sentenced to up to 25 days in administrative detention for demonstrating in support of Huseynov in early January. “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says Russian peacekeepers deny foreign reporters access to Nagorno-Karabakh News “The Aliyev regime’s impunity must be ended without delay. We call on the international community to impose targeted sanctions on the leading figures involved in the crackdown and to condition any improvement in relations on the restoration of pluralism and the rule of law.” His protest has triggered a remarkable wave of solidarity in Azerbaijan, where civil society is subjected to draconian persecution. Around 20 dissidents have begun their own hunger strike to call for his release and the release of other political prisoners. They include the well-known journalists Khadija Ismayilova and Tofig Yagublu, the imprisoned journalists Fikret Faramazoglu and Elchin Ismayilli and the imprisoned blogger Rashad Ramazanov. last_img read more

Former garda reserve charged with fraud

first_imgAdvertisement Print Facebook NewsBreaking newsFormer garda reserve charged with fraudBy admin – October 17, 2013 899 Linkedin Report by Andrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A COMPLEX and lengthy investigation is underway concerning a former member of the Garda Reserve in connection with allegation of fraudulent claims made for job seekers allowance,38-year-old Cameroonian, Charles Eyombo, with an address at Bru Na Gruadan, Castletroy is charged with making gain through loss or deception contrary to section 6 of the theft and fraud offences act 2001.It is alleged that the former garda reserve who served in Shannon, presented to the Department of Social Protection on Dominick Street, Limerick on February 20, 2013 and signed on for Jobseeker’s Allowance and failed to notify the Minister of a change in his circumstances.Sgt Donal Cronin told Limerick District Court that the directions of the DPP were being sought and asked for a lengthy adjournment due to the complex nature of the investigation. Judge Eugene O’Kelly heard that the matter is alleged to span a “number of years”.Dates from August 2009 to March of this year are understood to be under investigation for a defraud totalling in the region of €36,000.The matter, which first appeared before the courts earlier this summer, was put back to February 19 next year.center_img Twitter Email WhatsApp Previous articleParamedic to be sentenced for video recording woman in toiletNext articleTerrible secrets of abuse at Limerick family guesthouse adminlast_img read more

Fennecs Test Run with Champions League for Eagles

first_imgFour of the 18 foreign-based Algerian players invited by new coach, Georges Leekens, were in the starting line-up of their various European teams as the UEFA Champions’ League group stage passed half way mark.Nigeria had only Ahmed Musa in action for Leicester City against FC Copenhagen.Musa’s Algerian team mate, Riyad Mahrez played all of 90 minutes for the English Premier league champions while his compatriot, Islam Slimani, was benched by the Nigerian assistant captain.Another Algerian, Rachid Ghezzal played full 90 minutes for ambitious Lyon side that stunned home team Juventus with a late minute equaliser in the 1-1 scoreline that assured the French side an opportunity to nurse the ambition of reaching the knock out stage of the competition.Also, Faouzi Goulam, filed out for FC Napoli against Besiktas and played full time in the useful 1-1 scoreline against the Turkish side on Tuesday just as Hilal Soudani made Dinamo Zagreb’s starting line-up in the humiliating 0-4 lost to host Sevilla on Wednesday.The Algerian Fennecs who are not taking anything for granted moved swiftly yesterday to replace injured Bordeaux forward, Adam Ounas, with Sofiane Hanni from Belgian club Anderlecht.Hani is one of the two more foreign pros as well as four players from the country’s domestic league added to the squad heading for Uyo.Jean Mehdi Tahrat, the other foreign-based player features for Angers in the French Ligue 1.The four local league players are two goalkeepers – Malik Asselah (JS Kabylie), Chemseddine Rahmani (MO Bejaia)– as well as defenders Houari Ferhani (JSK) and Mohamed Khoutir Ziti (ES Setif).Meanwhile, newly invited Super Eagles goalkeeper, Daniel Akpeyi, has said he is 100 per cent ready for the World Cup qualifying clash against the Algerian opponents.The Chippa United shot stopper was a late call up after being initially omitted in the roll calls by Eagles manager, Gernot Rohr, But injury on Wolverhampton Wanderers goal tender, Carl Ikeme ensured the immediate fall back on the former Heartland and Warri Wolves safe hands.Akpeyi said he considers the late call up as a rare honour and privilege even though he was cocksure he merited the early invitation.“Of course, I consider it always an honour and privilege to serve my fatherland, I’m happy with the call up as I’m 100 per cent fit and determined to justify my inclusion in the game against the Algerian opponents, Desert Foxes.“The truth is that I had looked forward to be named in the first list but when it did not come through I kept faith and focus on my club career.“I should be arriving Nigeria on Sunday or Monday as the invitation specified to team up with teammates to prepare for the clash against Algeria.“The match against Algeria is not going to be an easy task given the North Africans pedigree in the land but I’m confident we can always conquer at the end of the day to sustain the momentum after the heroic performance against Zambia in Ndola.“I strongly believe that Algeria will certainly go the way of Zambia in Uyo on November 12,” said Akpeyi to supersport.com.The Super Eagles are at the group’s summit on three points after Match-day 1 clash success at Zambia in Ndola while opponents, Algeria have one point same as Cameroun.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram *Akpeyi excited by late call up to Super EaglesFemi SolajaAhead of the Match-day two clash of the 2018 World Cup qualifying clash between Nigeria and Algeria in Uyo next Saturday, players listed for action by the North African country midweek gave samples of what to expect in the much-anticipated game.last_img read more