Kluivert keen on Van Gaal reunion

first_imgPatrick Kluivert would relish the chance to again work alongside new Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal in a coaching capacity.Van Gaal formally took charge at United on Wednesday after his role as Netherlands coach came to an end following the nation’s participation at the FIFA World Cup. Kluivert worked as Van Gaal’s assistant at international level for two years and also played under the 62-year-old at both Ajax and Barcelona as well as for their country. And while Kluivert is disappointed to have been overlooked for the number two role at Old Trafford in favour of Ryan Giggs, he has not ruled out the possibility of forming part of Van Gaal’s backroom staff at the Premier League club at some point. “I talked with Van Gaal and he said he would have loved to have given me the opportunity at Manchester United, but there was somebody already in my position,” the legendary former striker told talkSPORT. “I’m fine with it.  “I would have loved to come to Manchester United. I hope it can happen in the future, you never know.”The synergy that exists between the pair means Kluivert is well placed to make predictions about how United will fare with Van Gaal. Although returning the club to the UEFA Champions League following the disappointment of last season is arguably the Dutchman’s primary aim, Kluivert believes Van Gaal is setting his sights higher. He added: “He’s absolutely going for the Premier League title. A club like Manchester United always has to go for the title and that’s what he wants in his first year.”He’s a great coach and I know he’s looking forward to taking over at Manchester United.  “It will be a difficult year but I know he can do it. He can work well with the squad.”Van Gaal is a great tactician and he wants to win matches. He likes to play offensive and attractive football as well though. He won’t disappoint the Manchester United fans.”last_img read more


first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTS SUNDAYBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division Glenea United 2 Donegal Town 3Glenea’s challenge for league honours was severely dented with this home defeat.The home side started brightly and Ryan McFadden saw his close range effort cleared off the line after 10 minutes. The home side continued to press for an opening goal however it was the visitor’s that took the lead on 22 minutes when Benny Byrne headed home a corner with virtually their first attack. The home side continued to have the upper hand and went close to equalising through efforts from Dean Gallagher and Sean McBride. Glenea finally equalised on 35 minutes when, after good work by Darren Mc Geever down the left, his cross was nodded back by Dean Gallagher and Sean McBride fired home from 15 yards. In the 2nd half the home side continued to press for a lead goal and had efforts from Darren Mc Geever and Ryan McFadden well saved. The home side were stunned on 65 minutes when Donegal Town retook the lead through Conor Byrne with a well struck free-kick. The away side extended their lead on 75 minutes when Benny Byrne headed home his 2nd goal. Glenea tried hard to get back into the game but despite having a couple of half chances were unable to pull a goal back until the final minute when Sean McBride headed home a Denis Boyle free-kick. Team efforts from both sides.Referee: Paddy Duffy.Curragh Athletic 0 Cranford United 3Two goals from Kyle Black on thirteen and eighty seven minutes and a 57th minute Philip Buchannan penalty were enough for Cranford to collect all three points in Killygordon. To be fair to the home side, a lot of the play was very even, but Curragh just couldn’t just get through a resolute Cranford defence where Arty Friel dominated. For the home side Michael O’ Brien and Alan Boal tried hard with Dylan Quinn and Jason Mc Bride also playing their usual sound game. Good team effort from Cranford. Match Referee: Marty Mc LaughlinWatson Hire Division OneBonagee United 1 Castlefin Celtic 3 Castlefin collected all three points in a hard fought game against Bonagee on Sunday. Castlefin had early chances through PJ Mc Menamin and Kieran Brennan only to be denied by the Bonagee keeper John Carr. Castlefin took the lead in the 7th minute when Damien Doherty tapped home from a Ronan Tourish corner. Matthew O` Rourke increased Castlefin`s lead in the 22nd minute when he shot home from the edge of the box from a Kieran Brennan through ball. Two minutes later Damien Doherty scored his second and Castlefin`s third when he headed to the top corner of the net from a Ronan Tourish corner. Bonagee improved in the 2nd half and got a goal back in the 55th minute when Kieran Gibbons shot to the net from a Reece Short corner. For the remainder of the game Bonagee tried to get another goal back but could not get past the Castlefin defence. Best for Bonagee : Sam Murphy and Kieran Gibson. Best for Castlefin: Damien Doherty and Kieran Brennan. Referee: Liam FarrenLagan Harps 4 Eany Celtic 2Lagan gained a valuable win in their effort to beat the drop but were made to fight hard by a committed Eany side. Eany went close on five minutes when Paul Mc Groarty forced Conor Harley in to a good save. Lagan responded and Ruairi Crawford broke through but hit the post. Eany took the lead when a good through ball found Brendan Quinn and he finished well. Lagan hit the crossbar twice through Ruairi Crawford and Gio Peoples as they pressed. The equaliser arrived on thirty five minutes when Drew Connolly found Eunan Diver who scored a screamer from thirty yards. Eany were still threatening with Paul Mc Groarty and John Rose always dangerous. Lagan took the lead just on half time when Drew Connolly cut inside and struck a great goal from twenty five yards. The second half continued in the same vein with both sides committed to attack. Lagan went 3-1 up on fifty two minutes when Ruairi Crawford seized on a loose ball in the area and fired home. Eany responded and Barry Rose pounced on a defensive error to score. Lagan scored almost immediately again with another long range drive from Austin Marron. In an exciting game Ruairi Crawford and Austin Marron were Lagan’s best while Aidan Kennedy and John Rose were Eany’s best. Referee: Kevin Logue.Drumoghill F.C. 3 Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 3 The Division One pendulum swung back in favour of Cappry Rovers after Mark Friel’s 96th minute equaliser for Kerrykeel in this pulsating fixture against Drumoghill FC at the Aura. It was no more than Kerrykeel deserved after a late double strike from Drumoghill FC had seemed to have secured all three points for the home side. Kerrykeel had raced into a two goal lead thanks to a double strike from Johnny Friel. Drumoghill bounced back to take a 3-2 lead before Friel dramatically slotted home an injury time equaliser to give both sides a share of the points. The visitors started brightly and were well worth their early lead. Paddy Mc Granaghan and Davitt Walsh were dominant in midfield throughout the opening exchanges and it was no surprise that they took the lead on 18 minutes. The architect was Marty Mc Ateer, whose fine run and cross was headed home powerfully by Johnny Friel leaving Regan with no chance. Drumoghill, keen to maintain momentum after a superb victory over Cappry Rovers, struggled to find any kind of a repost and before they knew it, it was 2-0. Again, it was Johnny Friel with a speculative effort from distance that zipped off the night surface and beyond the despairing dive of Regan. Drumoghill though, lack nothing in character and team spirit and grabbed an all important lifeline just before the interval. After forcing a succession of corners an ensuing bombardment of shots on goal eventually reaped a reward when Richard Tinney was on hand to deflect home Christopher O’Donnell’s cross-cum-shot to reduce the arrears in the 38th minute. Minutes later the home side almost forced an equaliser when Christopher O’Donnell rose highest to head against the crossbar but Kerrykeel survived. The second half produced an onslaught as the home side searched for a route back into the game. Although the pressure was relentless chances were few and far between. Drumoghill eventually resorted to efforts from distance in their bid to find a precious equaliser and it eventually arrived through Shane McIntyre. Taking possession from Crossan’s pass with 10 minutes remaining McIntyre’s dipping drive from 20 yards flew into the net and it was game on again. Both sides knew the importance of victory and it was a refreshing sight to witness both doing everything they could to secure those precious three points. They looked to be heading Drumoghill’s way when referee Lagan pointed to the spot on 82 minutes after Damien Crossan was upended inside the penalty area under a challenge from Patrick Mc Conigley. Up stepped Liam O’Donnell to hammer home his 17th goal of the season. Drumoghill thought they had secured a vital win until Kerrykeel’s late late equaliser. The visitors applied pressure during the closing minutes and were eventually rewarded when Mark Friel was in the right place at the right time to prod the ball home to level the scores. To be fair a draw was probably the fairest result as neither side deserved to lose a game which had been a wonderful advertisement for junior football.CT Ball Division TwoWhitestrand United 2 Raphoe Town 2On a cold and blustery day Whitestrand United took on Raphoe town at Whitestrand Park. The match was always going to be affected by the blustery conditions and this was the case in the early stages with both teams struggling to get to grips with the conditions. Raphoe hit the post with a header after 6 minutes. Whitestrand then tested the Raphoe keeper with a cross but otherwise it was a tight game with few chances. Then just before half time Paddy Gallagher scored for Raphoe when he floated his shot over the keeper.The second half started on an equally poor note when the referee sent Paul Lynch off for a second yellow card. Then Raphoe piled on the misery when Stephen Craig scored a second. The game seemed to be getting away from “The Strand” when Michael Sweeney stepped on the pitch. At about 70 minutes he stepped up to a free kick and found the top corner. It was a great strike and the impetus was then with Whitestrand and they found the equaliser when Anthony Fisher crossed for James Gallagher to nod home. This was a remarkable comeback by Whitestrand and they almost snatched an unlikely win when Michael Sweeney broke clear but fired narrowly over the bar. It certainly felt like a point gained and Raphoe must have felt like it was two points lost. Best for the Strand were Michael Sweeney and Eamon Martin.Glenree United 4 Dunlewy Celtic 1There was a minutes silence observed to the memory of Mr Patrick Breslin prior to this match.Glenree Park saw its team get back to winning ways having faltered in recent weeks. The reds scored four goals from great passages of play with Damien Nelis being instrumental in all.The first came on 20 minutes when the ball was won in midfield by Rogers who slotted Nelis through on goal. With his shot parried by the keeper Vinny McLaughlin was on hand to slot neatly home. Glenree quickly doubled their lead when Damien Nelis again rifled a low hard shot towards goal. The keeper couldn’t contain it and Paul Coyle tapped in from 4yards.The second half was a more tightly contested affair with Dunlewey asking most of the questions in the first 15 minutes. John Rogers then crossed the ball and Nelis stepped over the ball and continued his run and received the ball from John Coll and scored with a snapshot.Glenree introduced Dylan McBride, who is one of many prospects for the future, and his efforts assisted Daniel Mc Groddy who scored at the near post with the tightest of margins.Daniel Cannon scored a consolation goal for the visitors on 88 minutes. It was a good solid positive performance from a John Cunningham captained Glenree United and Hugh Cannon had a good game for Celtic. Referee: Gerry GallagherCopany Rovers 2 Convoy Arsenal 3Copany Rovers entertained Convoy Arsenal at Killowen Park. Convoy started the match putting Copany under pressure. The deadlock was broken in the 15th minute when a free kick from Copany’s David Graham was fumbled by the Convoy goalkeeper and Dale Duncan was on hand to tap in. It remained 1-0 at the break. Convoy levelled the score in the 50th minute following a corner which was not cleared properly and which fell to Ryan Carlin who slotted it home. Copany went 2-1 up in the 60th minute through a brilliant strike from Darragh Brogan. Convoy equalised in the 75th minute when Carlin got his second. The game was finished when Ryan Carlin completed his hat-trick from a poorly cleared free kick. Good performances from both teams.Ballybofey United 1 Drumbar F.C. 1Ballybofey United and Drumbar F.C. shared the spoils in this CT Ball Division Two match played at the Finn Valley A.C. Complex in Stranorlar. Drumbar will have been the happier of the two sides when they reached the interval on level terms. The home side totally dominated the opening period but didn’t turn their territorial advantage into goals. Drumbar took the lead mid-way through the second half when Shane Browne headed David Giblin’s cross past PJ Browne in the home net. Ballybofey United got the equaliser with fifteen minutes remaining when David White scored from the penalty spot. Neither side could add to their tally in the time that remained and it ended one apiece for the Division’s two bottom teams who produced an entertaining match on the day. Referee: Patrick MartinDeele Harps 0 Letterbarrow Celtic 0Deele Harps moved on to twenty seven points when they gained a draw against Sunday’s visitors to the Athletic Ground, Letterbarrow Celtic. They now trail the joint leaders by six points with a game in hand on both Copany Rovers and Whitestrand United in what is turning out to be a close battle for the CT Ball Division Two title.SATURDAYOld Orchard Saturday Division OneRamelton Mariners 1 St. Catherines Reserves 3St. Catherines overcame a spirited Mariners at Rab’s Park on Saturday afternoon.It was the Mariners who started much the brighter and after a lot of pressure took the lead on 27 minutes when Patrick Durning scooped home a flick on from Paul Gallagher. St Catherines equalised in the 43rd minute, against the run of play, when Willi Haikkenen converted from close range. It was the much fitter St. Catherines who dominated the 2nd half and deservedly took the lead in the 75th minute when Eoin O’ Donnell headed home from a corner. With time running out Willi Haikkenen added his 2nd in injury time. Best for Mariners were Eddie Boyce in nets and Joe Coyle in defence. A good team performance from St. Catherines. Referee: Barry HunterMulroy Celtic 1 Glenea United Reserves 2Glenea, playing with a stiff breeze, kept Mulroy penned in for large parts of the first half. They took the lead after Michael Gallagher picked up a stray pass and hit an unstoppable strike into the top corner. The home side created a few half chances towards half time. Their efforts were rewarded with a goal from Packie Mc Elwaine, finishing well after great work from Jerry Diver.In the second half Mulroy kept the pressure on and Eamon Sweeney was unlucky when his strike from thirty yards was finger-tipped over the bar by the visiting keeper. A game changing decision came when the Mulroy keeper was adjudged to have had control of the ball in the area and then proceeded to step out with the ball in his hands. The resulting free kick got through the wall and ricocheted off a Mulroy defender and into the net to give Glenea the victory. Michael Gallagher was best for Glenea United, another team effort from home side.Orchard F.C. 6 Fintown Harps AFC 0Orchard took all three points against an under strength Fintown at Errigal college. They opened the scoring on ten minutes when “Chucky” slotted home from close range Eddy Moore added the second from three yards from a Niall Bonner free kick. On twenty minutes Niall Bonner shot home to the bottom left hand corner of the net after he beat his man on the edge of the box. Just before half time Niall Bonner added his second. Orchard added two more in the second half through the hard working “Chucky” and the old warhorse Sean Sweeney. Best for Orchard: Niall Bonner. Best for Fintown: Team PerformanceGlencar Celtic 3 Erne Wanderers 2Glencar got off to a flying start with Pajo Rafferty finding the net after 15 seconds. He nicked the ball off a defender and slotted home. Glencar piled on the pressure and good work from Garvan Grieve down the right ended with him crossing for Chris Malseed to rise highest and put the home side two up. Glencar had numerous chances to treble their lead but squandered each one. With five minutes left in the first half Grieve picked up a loose ball in midfield and played it to Brogan who found the net from 25 yards. Erne made a double substitution at half time and it worked in their favour. They were much more lively and had a hunger about them. Glencar found it difficult to find their rhythm in the second half as Erne pushed for a goal. They got their reward on the hour mark when one of the subs got in behind the Glencar defence and finished well. Glencar were then caught out with a route one ball from the Erne keeper. When a knock-on looped over Grieve David Dolan finished well. Erne pressed hard for an equaliser but all to no avail. Good team performances from both teams.Glencar Inn Saturday Division TwoArranmore United 3 Strand Rovers 0Arranmore welcomed neighbours Strand Rovers to Rannagh Park where the home side ran out 3-0 winners. The first half was an even affair with both sides having chances, notably from set pieces. The second half saw the home side up the tempo and take the lead in the 65th minute when Benny Mc Garvey converted a Daniel O’ Donnell corner following a goalmouth scramble. Arran double their advantage almost immediately as following a quick throw in Martin Proctor turned on the edge of the area and hammered the ball home from 20 yards to the surprise off the visiting keeper. Fifteen minutes from the end Arran made sure of the points as Christopher Mc Glanaghy found space out right following a good through ball by Proctor and he let fly from an acute angle but his shot across the keeper was measured to perfection as he found the far top corner with a brilliant strike! Darragh Hanlon had a great chance late on when he ran through one on one but found no way past the home keeper. Best for Strand: Team performance. Best for Arran: Christopher Mc Glanaghy and Mark Ward. Referee: Brian O’ KaneCurragh Athletic Reserves 1 Donegal Town Reserves 2The Curragh started this game very brightly. Gary Heaney’s powerful strike was well saved by the Donegal keeper. Curragh pushed hard for a goal and were awarded a penalty in the 30th minute when Shea Hannigan was brought down after a good run. Justin Mc Bride converted the spot kick. Curragh kept pushing for a second only to find the Donegal keeper in great form, saving from Gary Heaney and then Dan O’ Brien. Donegal scored in the 70th minute through Declan Brown. Donegal took the lead in the 85th minute from a Joe Mc Intyre strike. Donegal sealed this game in injury time with a Chris Hegarty strike.. Best for Curragh was Dylan Irwin. Team performance from Donegal.Tullyvinney Rovers 2 Keadue Rovers 0Tullyvinney Rovers got back on form, after successive defeats, with a home win against Keadue Rovers on Saturday. Aided by a strong breeze in the first half Rovers went on the attack straight away but had little end product. After 25 minutes Tullyvinney were rewarded for their efforts when striker Renato struck from the edge of the area through a group of Keadue players into the bottom corner of the net to put the home side one up. In the second half Keadue came more into the game, aided themselves by the strong wind, and had a number of efforts but didn’t troubled the Tullyvinney keeper.The home side then sealed all three points as Marty Alexander received a Sam Hegarty throw-in and found the net with a lob over the head of the Keadue ‘keeper, despite his best attempts to reach the ball. Tullyvinney then had goalkeeper Nigel Hegarty to thank for keeping the score at 2-0 with ten minutes to go as his wonder-save from point blank range denied Keadue the goal they chased to get back into the game. Decent team performances from both sides.DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTSSATURDAYOld Orchard Saturday Division OneRamelton Mariners 1 v 3 St. Catherines ReservesMulroy Celtic 1 v 2 Glenea United ReservesOrchard F.C. 6 v 0 Fintown Harps AFCGlencar Celtic 3 v 2 Erne WanderersGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoMilford United Reserves P v P Glenree United ReservesArranmore United 3 v 0 Strand RoversCurragh Athletic Reserves 1 v 2 Donegal Town ReservesTullyvinney Rovers 2 v 0 Keadue RoversSUNDAYBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionGlenea United 2 v 3 Donegal TownCurragh Athletic 0 v 3 Cranford UnitedWatson Hire Division OneBonagee United 1 v 3 Castlefin CelticLagan Harps 4 v 2 Eany CelticDrumoghill F.C. 3 v 3 Kerrykeel ’71 F.C.CT Ball Division TwoWhitestrand United 2 v 2 Raphoe TownGlenree United 4 v 1 Dunlewy CelticCopany Rovers 2 v 3 Convoy ArsenalBallybofey United 1 v 1 Drumbar F.C.Deele Harps 0 v 0 Letterbarrow CelticFIXTURESSATURDAY 22-03-2014 K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)Old Orchard Saturday Division OneGlencar Celtic v Fintown Harps AFCOrchard F.C. v Ramelton MarinersGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoArranmore United v Keadue Rovers Reserves (K.O. 1p.m.)Strand Rovers v Milford United ReservesCranford United Reserves v Donegal Town ReservesTullyvinney Rovers v Gweedore United ReservesGlenree United Reserves v Curragh Athletic ReservesSUNDAY 23-03-2014 K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionGweedore Celtic v Kilmacrennan CelticRathmullan Celtic v Lifford CelticCurragh Athletic v Glenea UnitedWatson Hire Division OneLagan Harps v Cappry RoversDunkineely Celtic v Bonagee UnitedEany Celtic v Gweedore UnitedCT Ball Division TwoDrumbar F.C. v Deele HarpsConvoy Arsenal v Ballybofey UnitedDunlewy Celtic v Copany RoversRaphoe Town v Glenree UnitedLetterbarrow Celtic v Whitestrand UnitedDONEGAL LEAGUE – ALL THE REPORTS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: March 16th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Leaguelast_img