Red Raider Jake Schneider Named All-State Wide Receiver by USA Today

first_imgOcean City wide receiver Jake Schneider, showing his form on the playing field, holds school and conference records for pass receptions. (Photos courtesy of the Schneider family) By BILL BARLOW Ocean City High School wide receiver Jake Schneider got some great news Wednesday: He was selected by USA Today Network as part of 2020’s all-New Jersey first team.“I think it’s a pretty big deal,” Jake said, adding that it’s been some time since an OCHS player made the list.He said the Red Raiders played well this year.“Everyone in the state noticed us, so some of our players were bound to get some attention,” he said.His season has included breaking the school and league records for pass receptions, and a glowing endorsement from his coach, in addition to making all-state.News organizations from throughout the state participate in the USA Today Network, including, and many others, according to a news story posted to, with multiple bylines.He made first team for offense.“Schneider isn’t the biggest receiver, but the 5-foot-7, 140-pounder came up huge for the Red Raiders all season,” reads the story. “He snagged 38 passes for 570 yards and seven touchdowns on offense and made four interceptions on defense, three of which he returned for scores.”Click to view “Jake Schneider – Senior Season” Video by HudlIt can be frustrating how often people focus on his size, Jake said.But once he’s on the field, that stops mattering, he said.His father, Joe Schneider, said Jake does not allow anything to hold him back.“Making first team all-state is difficult and a great honor. Jake has exceeded expectations since the first grade,” Joe Schneider noted. “He has always believed he could do anything.”He said his son has hopes of going pro, adding that there have been successful small players in the NFL. He put Jake’s weight as 150, by the way, 10 pounds over what was published.“I couldn’t be more proud. He has consistently been the smallest kid on the field with the biggest heart, and that’s since first grade,” Joe Schneider said.That was when Jake started playing tackle football, and when his dad started coaching him and his friends soon after the family moved to Ocean City. Coming up together, the players formed a close-knit group.“I got to know them all. It’s a great bunch of boys that played for the Junior Raiders. This is their 12th year playing together,” Joe Schneider said.Jake Schneider, fifth from right, is joined by teammates and coaches from the football team.Like student-athletes around the country — and almost everyone else — the pandemic has derailed some plans for Jake and other team members.That included a deflating end to his senior season, with a game against Williamstown abruptly canceled at halftime on Wednesday before Thanksgiving after a member of the Williamstown team tested positive for COVID-19.“That was a tough way to end our high school careers. Especially if you’re losing 28-6,” Jake said.That was the score when the game was called. He said the team may have battled their way back in the second half, despite the daunting deficit.He and his teammates have learned to play hard and keep pushing, he said, citing the lessons they learned growing up together.Jake cited his dad, his Junior Red Raiders coach, Carl Wanek, and others as inspirations.“Coach Carl (Wanek) taught me and my friends how to play football: How to play hardnosed,” he said. “We would be out there against way bigger kids.”Carl Wanek, left, Jake’s Junior Raiders Coach, with son, Little Carl, pictured in 2011 with Jake and his father, Joe Schneider.The final game was not as big a disappointment as it might have been, his dad said. The Red Raiders were set to face Pleasantville, a Thanksgiving matchup that goes back a century.But Pleasantville canceled this year. The Williamstown game was scheduled later. That meant they thought the season was over on Monday.“They had their emotional moment,” Joe Schneider said.On Nov. 21, Jake had another moment, making seven catches against DePaul Catholic for a total of 118. That put him ahead of former Cedar Creek star Bo Melton for the Cape Atlantic League record for pass receptions.Melton is now a senior at Rutgers, where he plays wide receiver.Jake already held the Ocean City High School record for pass receptions, beating out Ryan Taylor of the class of 2000, one of several records to his name.“He’s got great instincts, he’s really quick off the ball and he catches everything,” explained Red Raiders Head Coach Kevin Smith. “That makes him hard to cover. But the thing that makes him special is his work ethic. He’s one of the best practice players I’ve ever coached. He gets better every day at practice.”Football may be over for the year, but Jake’s high school athletic career is not. He plans to play lacrosse this spring and holds out hope for a full season.Jake Schneider, wearing No. 28 as an underclassman, hauls in a pass against Mainland.His dad said he was in line to break the school record for scoring in that sport, making 70 as a sophomore, but losing his junior-year season – canceled due to the pandemic – will make that a tough record to reach.Jake has not yet decided where he will go to school. Part of that decision will depend on whether he plays college-level football or lacrosse.“I haven’t decided yet. I like football better,” he said.His dad said he also excels academically and may major in business. His mother, Maureen Schneider, works as a real estate agent at Berkshire Hathaway. His sister, Olivia, is a sophomore at Stockton University.“Everyone has pro football hopes. I’d love to do that, but I don’t know,” Jake said. “My mom’s a realtor in Ocean City and that doesn’t seem like a bad job.”last_img read more

Steve Kent Kaiser: 1951- 2013

first_imgFuneral services for Steve K. Kaiser, 62, of Silsbee, Texas will be 2 p.m., Friday, April 19, 2013 at Pinecrest Baptist Church with visitation to begin at 12 noon Friday until time of service. Arrangements with Farmer Funeral Home, Silsbee, TX.Mr. Kaiser died Monday, April 15, 2013. Steve was a native of Wellington and has lived in Silsbee with his family for 29 years.Steve was employed by Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad and Union Pacific Railroad for a total 33 years, from whom he retired in July of 2012. Steve and Aletha were co-owners of The Wash House, a local business in Silsbee, which they have operated for over 27 years.Mr. Kaiser served in the U.S. Army and was stationed in Germany. After returning he served as a firefighter and EMT in Wellington, Kansas.Mr. Kaiser is preceded in death by his parents James Kaiser and Irene Boyes Kaiser.Survivors include wife of 33 years, Aletha Kaiser; three daughters Stacy Hawks and husband Cole, Karen Fant and her husband Boyd and Cyndie Hicks; two sons Steve J. Kaiser and his wife Linda and Bryan Treese and wife Niki; two brothers Mark Kaiser and Roger Kaiser; two sisters Jamie Richter and husband Jim and Kathy Kaiser; 14 grandchildren, Colby, Mason, Dalton, Josie, Kade, Kirsten, Kailey, Kaleb, Lauren, Garrett, Hayden, Davis, Chance and Gagelast_img read more


first_imgDONEGAL cyclist Philip Deignan finished in 123rd place with Team Sky on Saturday as the Giro d’Italia wound its way through 200km of rain-soaked County Antrim countryside.And the Letterkenny man admitted it wasn’t much fun as driving rain made for tough conditions.The tough weather conditions and high speed throughout made for fraught nerves on the peloton’s five-hour ride. “I don’t think anybody had a chance to enjoy themselves out there, unfortunately the weather conditions were really bad,” said Philip.“It was wet all day and with 220 kilometres in the rain, it was not much fun at all.”Sky’s best placed rider in the bunch sprint was Ben Swift, who took seventh. Deignan himself finished in the main pack, in 123rd place.Marcel Kittel of Germany won today’s stage two when it finished back in Belfast. The Orica-GreenEdge rider finished ahead of Nacer Bouhanni in second and Giacomo Nizzolo in third.By virtue of finishing ahead of his Orica-GreenEdge team-mate Svein Tuft, Australia’s Michael Matthews takes the pink jersey.Tomorrow’s stage starts in Armagh, and finishes in Dublin after a 187km route, ahead of the race heading to Italy. ‘THAT WASN’T MUCH FUN’ – SAYS DEIGNAN AFTER RAIN-SOAKED DAY 2 OF GIRO d’ITALIA was last modified: May 10th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:AntrimBelfastGiro d”ItaliaPhilip Deignanlast_img read more