Spotlighting Survivors during breast cancer awareness month

first_img“I’m not afraid to tell people that I’m a survivor. I’m proud of it. My sister, unfortunately, didn’t make it, so I’m here for her, too,” says Lewis. According to the American Cancer Society, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with the disease, as it is the most common cancer in American women besides skin cancer. (WBNG) — During Breast Cancer Awareness month, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer of Binghamton with Visions Federal Credit Union are spotlighting survivors. They also add that breast cancer can affect men. All the women say they found their strength in their families and kept fighting. They also stress the importance to donate to breast cancer research funds in order to one day find a cure. 12 News spoke with four women, Sally Colleti, Amy Purdy Godleski, Pat Roma, and Patty Lewis, who detailed what it means to be a breast cancer survivor. “I had an 87% chance of not making it past year 1, and I knew, I’m not good at math, but I knew, I have a 13% chance of surviving though. Somebody has to be in that 13%, why not me?,” said Colleti.center_img All women stressed the importance of being screened and caution against saying “cancer-free,” an experience Purdy Godleski knows too well, having been rediagnosed years later, sharing, “I went five years in good health and then I had my normal, annual check-up, and then they found it again in a mammogram.” While their stories differ, they share the same tenacity and readiness to fight. Each of them shared a heartfelt battle, and all fought for their families. Colleti says it wasn’t an option to give up; as a mom to an adopted daughter and autistic son, she says she wasn’t going anywhere. Roma shared a message to fellow women who may also be struggling, saying, “It’s okay to cry. It’s okay to have a bad day, it’s okay to scream. Use your friends, use your family. They’re a good support for you, a good support system, and talk about it. While it’s a difficult diagnosis, Lewis says she’s proud.last_img read more

NBA playoffs 2019: Kyrie Irving discusses Celtics’ low-scoring Game 1 win over Pacers

first_img“They have incredible defenders on their team,” Irving said. “They use their length very well. They control the paint. We just have to do the right things. Getting all those jitters out for the first game, I’m always happy just to get the feel-out game out of the way. Now you can really see where you can improve.”The Celtics trailed by seven at halftime but held Indiana to just eight third-quarter points as they took control. Related News “I think that experience, firsthand, is always the best teacher,” Irving said. “You come out, you don’t shoot particularly well. Throughout the regular season, we’ve been in positions like that. … We just had to turn that page. It’s the next play mentality. We weren’t shooting well. … But, it’s a series.“We come out, any time in the game, runs can happen, anyone can come in and make an impact. And it just doesn’t have to be on the offensive end.”Irving scored 20 points on 6-of-17 shooting in the win. He also added a game-high seven assists along with five rebounds.“I’ve been in a few playoff games like that, I’ve been on both ends,” Irving said. “That’s where the really gritty individuals make their mark. Just the focus level on the game plan really comes to the ultimate level and we depend on each other that much more. Steve Kerr, Warriors delay film session to watch Tiger Woods win Masters NBA Playoffs 2019: Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons sound off on boos from 76ers fanscenter_img Kyrie Irving isn’t worried about the Celtics’ offense.Boston struggled on that side of the ball yet still managed to pull out an 84-74 win over the Pacers on Sunday at TD Garden in Game 1 of their opening-round playoff series. Irving, the Celtics star, discussed the victory with reporters after the game. “When we’re in the trenches like that, just continue to get stops. You’re always in the game in the playoffs, no matter what, if you keep playing the right way.”The Celtics and Pacers will return to action Wednesday in Boston in Game 2.last_img read more