Trial of newspaper accused of libelling president’s brother opens today in Ouagadougou

first_img Reporters Without Borders voiced its support today for the Ouagadougou-based fortnightly L’Evénement, which is accused of libelling the president’s brother, François Compaoré, by linking him to the 1998 murder of journalist Norbert Zongo. The trial is due to start today in Ouagadougou.“After last year’s outrageous decision to dismiss all charges and close the Zongo case, this year begins with a high-profile libel suit against a newspaper,” the press freedom organisation said. “Referring with too much precision to François Compaoré’s role in the Zongo murder has clearly become a well-established taboo under President Blaise Compaoré.”Reporters Without Borders added: “In practice, L’Evénement is under attack just for reporting the local news, covering what Reporters Without Borders did in connection with the case, and challenging the prevailing culture of impunity.”The subject of the lawsuit is several articles in the 25 October issue concerning a news conference about the Zongo case which Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard had given in Ouagadougou five days before. The president’s brother above all felt he had been libelled by front-page headline, accompanied by his photo, that said: “So it’s him, François Compaoré. Until now we had not been able to say his name. Reporters Without Borders has finally done it.”At the news conference five days before, Reporters Without Borders had called on the Burkina Faso state prosecutor to reopen the Zongo murder case on the grounds of new evidence produced by Ménard linking François Compaoré and businessman Oumarou Kanazoé to the case.The inside pages of L’Evénement’s issue contained three reports, an editorial and a press release about the case. The first report, headlined “The lies of the witnesses François Compaoré and Oumarou Kanazoé,” was about the documents which Reporters Without Borders had handed over to the state prosecutor.The second report, headlined “No one more blind that the one who refuses to see,” criticised the refusal of the judicial authorities to reopen the case, despite the new evidence produced by Reporters Without Borders. The third one, headlined “So it’s him, François Compaoré?,” was about the murkier aspects of his role in the case. The editorial criticised the failure of the attorney general and state prosecutor to do their job. The press release was the one issued by Reporters Without Borders condemning the judicial authorities’ refusal to reopen the case on the grounds of the new evidence.Investigating judge Wenceslas Ilboudo issued a decision on 19 July 2006 dismissing all charges against the leading suspect, former presidential guard chief Marcel Kafando. According to article 189 of the code of criminal procedure, the case could thereafter only be reopened if there were “new accusations” liable to “strengthen the accusations that have already proved too weak” or to “contribute new developments useful in establishing the truth.”Zongo was an investigative journalist and editor of the weekly L’Indépendant. His charred body and those of three companions were found on 13 December 1998. RSF_en News News June 7, 2021 Find out more Burkina FasoAfrica Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information Burkina FasoAfrica January 8, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Trial of newspaper accused of libelling president’s brother opens today in Ouagadougou to go further Reporters Without Borders voiced its support today for the Ouagadougou-based fortnightly L’Evénement, which is accused of libelling the president’s brother, François Compaoré, by linking him to the 1998 murder of journalist Norbert Zongo. “Referring with too much precision to François Compaoré’s role in the Zongo murder has clearly become a well-established taboo under President Blaise Compaoré,” the organisation said. Organisation May 5, 2021 Find out more April 27, 2021 Find out more News Time is pressing, 20 years after Burkinabe journalist’s murder Follow the news on Burkina Faso French reporter says he has been kidnapped in northeastern Mali Two Spanish journalists killed in eastern Burkina Faso Newslast_img read more

Limerick man’s bid to prevent mass murder

first_imgNewsLocal NewsLimerick man’s bid to prevent mass murderBy admin – January 24, 2013 664 A LIMERICK businessman has met with a senior member of President Barack Obama’s cabinet to discuss the introduction of new gun technology to prevent mass shootings and make America a safer country. Robert McNamara from Rathkeale visited the White House last Friday and met US Attorney General Eric Holder to secure White House approval on his smart gun technology. Triggersmart Technology, founded by the Limerick entrepreneur, works by radio frequency and makes it impossible for anyone, other than the authorised gun owner, to pull the weapon’s trigger.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Speaking from the US, Mr McNamara said he met with the US Attorney General at the White House while Vice President Joe Biden, who is said to be interested in the gun technology, was in the next room.Mr McNamara is to travel to the White House again in the coming weeks to try and finalise a possible deal to get his technology in the marketplace. If he receives White House approval, it could lead to one of the biggest business deals ever concluded by an Irish firm.Mr McNamara’s business partner, Pat O’Shaughnessy, from Newcastlewest, said: “It’s true we’re in talks with the White House. We’re hopeful but nothing has been signed off on yet.”“One of the recommendations in President Obama’s gun policy statement is that he wants to try and examine the existing and developing technologies and that is the part of the White House drive that we are involved in,” Mr O’Shaughnessy explained.Speaking from Georgia Tech in Athlone, Senior Engineer David McGuinness, who helped develop the Triggersmart technology, said: “Triggersmart came to us with the idea and we had the skills to develop it .”“There is an electronic reader on the firearm and the activator can be placed in a ring or a bracelet so when they both come into contact, the reader will identify the tag and the gun can be fired.”“The company were in the White House last Friday and they are currently in talks with investors”, Mr McGuinness said. Advertisement Print Twitter Linkedincenter_img Email Facebook Previous articleUlster Bank League Weekend Previews 26/1/13Next articleLimerick hurlers face Tipperary admin WhatsApplast_img read more