Man in funeral cortege caused crash after pulling into petrol station

first_imgA Fanad man traveling in a funeral cortege pulled into a filling station causing an oncoming vehicle to crash into him.The man, James Friel, pleaded guilty to charges before a recent sitting of Letterkenny District Court. Inspector Shaun Grant outlined details of the case against Mr Friel of Ballymichael, Ballylar PO arising from events on February 6, last year at Loughnakey, Milford.Judge Paul Kelly heard that on the date in question, a Ms Caroline Dorrian had been driving in the direction of Letterkenny when the head-on-collision took place with the defendant’s Peugeot Partner van.James Friel had been travelling in a cortege taking the remains of his neighbour from Letterkenny University Hospital to the wake house.He realised that his van was running out of fuel and turned right across the path of the oncoming vehicle as he attempted to enter the Applegreen service station. The incident was captured on CCTV.Solicitor for the defendant, Kieran Dillon, told the court that the incident occurred at dusk, at approximately 6.48pm and said his 35-year-old client “simply didn’t see the oncoming vehicle”.He said the father of four is a part-time farmer and stressed that matters have been resolved civilly between both insurance companies.Mr Dillon added: “This incident has caused grave concern and worry to my client who is otherwise of good character. This was a genuine mistake.”Judge Kelly noted that the defendant has no previous convictions and said it was a case of an “unfortunate accident rather than bad driving”. He proceeded to give the defendant the benefit of the Probation Act, meaning a conviction will not be recorded against him.Man in funeral cortege caused crash after pulling into petrol station was last modified: September 7th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:crashdonegalFanadfuneral cortegeJames friellast_img read more

Inquiry into murdered Indigenous women loses bid for two disputed RCMP files

first_imgInquiry commissioners Qajaq Robinson and Brian Eyolfson. (APTN)The Canadian PressThe National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls has lost a court bid for access to two RCMP files the Mounties refuse to hand over.The RCMP gave the inquiry more than 100 files but concluded that disclosing the two disputed ones could compromise ongoing investigations.The Mounties then filed certificates with the Federal Court under the Canada Evidence Act, which allows for a hearing to decide whether secrecy will prevail.In its ruling, the court sides with the RCMP, saying it is satisfied the refusal to hand over the files was not because of a fear of embarrassment or revelation of misconduct by force members.The inquiry recently delivered its final report calling for fundamental changes in the areas of health, security, justice and culture affecting Indigenous women and girls.The inquiry’s mandate expires at the end of the month, and there was no immediate word on whether it would appeal the Federal Court ruling.last_img read more

Presidents Pledge Accelerated Effort to End Veteran Homelessness

first_imgThe federal government has made significant progress in the fight to end veteran homelessness despite failing to meet President Obama’s pledge to eliminate the problem by the end of 2015.Veteran homelessness has dropped 47 percent since 2010, when Obama set his goal. And since the beginning of 2015, about 30 cities and counties have met federal benchmarks signaling progress in housing homeless veterans.“We knew that those were all going to be tough goals to achieve,” Ann Oliva, deputy assistant secretary for special needs at the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), told Stars and Stripes. “But we thought they were doable, and if we made the right policy decisions and had the right data and resources we needed, we could [make] progress, which is what we did,” she said.The president’s pledge was followed by a sharp increase in federal resources to address the issue. Congress has allocated an average of $67 million for a voucher program to house homeless veterans over the past five years.“When it was announced that the goal was to end veteran homelessness in five years, I think that was taken by everyone as, ‘Can we actually do that?’” said Randy Brown of the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans. “But that goal and the serious efforts to put a plan behind it and put resources behind it changed the landscape from managing homelessness to actually ending homelessness,” Brown said.One reason the federal government — primarily HUD and the Department of Veterans Affairs — has fallen short is that more veterans are becoming homeless than officials had estimated when Obama announced his goal, Oliva said.“We thought it was going to decrease over time,” she said. “That didn’t play out the way we thought it would.”Another factor is the lack of affordable housing, according to the story. HUD and the Department of Veterans Affairs recently announced they would provide $39 million for the first half of 2016 to house about 5,300 veterans. Since the federal voucher program began in 2008, the government has awarded 85,205 vouchers.“Certainly we’re on the right path,” Oliva said. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more

AntiRowdy squad busts IPL betting racket at Eden

first_imgKolkata: The anti-rowdy section (ARS) of Kolkata Police’s detective department busted a cricket betting racket on Friday night and arrested seven persons in this connection during the Indian Premier League (IPL) match at Eden Gardens.Three of the arrested persons are residents of Nagpur, while four of them are from Madhya Pradesh. “We have arrested seven persons on the basis of a source information regarding cricket betting at Eden Gardens during the cricket match played between Kolkata Knight Riders and Royal Challengers Bangalore. The group was nabbed by our ARS team after prolonged observation at F1 Block. 14 mobile phones including one betting accessory and other equipment have been seized,” said Pravin Tripathi, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime). Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataAccording to police sources, the arrested persons have been identified as Mukul Jain, Piyush Jain, Pratik Jain and Mayank Seth, all hailing from Sagar district under Motinagar police station, Madhya Pradesh. The three other residents of Nagpur who have been nabbed are Dipak Kumar Kaslikar of Etowari, Wasim Ahmed of Tehasil and Gobind Maniyar of Nandan I. All of them are in the age group of 20 to 35. It may be mentioned that only on Wednesday, two people were held along with Rs 1.70 lakh and two cell phones by South Zone Task Force in Telangana, after a cricket betting racket was busted during the match between Sunrisers Hyderabad and Chennai Super Kings.last_img read more

Obama Heads to Silicon Valley to Discuss Hacking Threats With CEOs

first_img This story originally appeared on Reuters 3 min read February 13, 2015center_img President Barack Obama will meet with chief executive officers on Friday at a summit in Silicon Valley held by the White House that aims to build support for beefing up cyber security laws in the wake of massive hacks at Target Corp, Sony Corp and Anthem Inc.Obama will make the case that the private sector and government need to do more to share data about cyber threats in a speech before a crowd of more than 1,000 people from corporations as well as privacy and civil liberties advocates.”By getting this right, businesses and people around the world will continue to want to store data with American companies, do business with American retailers, bank with American firms and carry around American smartphones and other devices,” Jeff Zients, director of the White House National Economic Council, told reporters.Obama will give a speech at 11:20 a.m. PST (1820 GMT).He will also meet privately with a small group of business leaders, part of an effort to mend fences with tech companies still angry over damage to their businesses when government surveillance practices were exposed by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden.Upset about the lack of reforms to those practices, the CEOS of Google Inc, Facebook Inc and Yahoo Inc are not attending the Stanford conference. But Apple Inc’s chief executive, Tim Cook, will give an address.A long roster of other CEOs will attend, including those from Bank of America, American International Group and Visa.Obama is set to sign an executive order aimed at encouraging companies to share more cyber threat data with the government and each other.And he will urge Congress to pass legislation that would offer liability protection to companies sharing cyber threat data.”I think a lot of companies are still uneasy about jumping into the debate now,” said Michael Gottlieb, a former associate White House counsel for Obama.”Unless more work is done to give a lot of these companies greater comfort, they may not be as enthusiastic about supporting those bills, so you may not get the level of Republican support that you need as a result,” said Gottlieb, who now specializes in data privacy and cyber security law at Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP in Washington, D.C.On the flip side, privacy and consumer rights advocates want to make sure companies are held accountable for data breaches that could have been averted, Gottlieb noted.(Additional reporting by Joseph Menn, Jim Finkle and Warren Strobel; Writing by Roberta Rampton; Editing by Leslie Adler)last_img read more