ARSENAL: ‘Two more years for Wenger’

first_imgFifth-placed Arsenal finished 18 points behind Chelsea, with embarrassing defeats at Crystal Palace and West Bromwich Albion ruining their chances of staying in the top four.Those losses, combined with a Champions League last 16 thrashing by Bayern Munich, prompted the most sustained fan protests against Wenger in his two-decade reign.Fans staged protest marches, flew planes over Arsenal matches trailing banners calling for Wenger to go and even stayed away in droves when the Gunners faces Sunderland in their penultimate home match.Wenger, who has won the FA Cup three times in the last four years, showed how much the abuse had affected him last week when he spoke to the BBC before the Wembley showdown with Chelsea.“I believe there’s a difference between being criticised and being treated in a way that human beings don’t deserve,” he said.“The lack of respect from some has been a disgrace and I will never accept that. I will never forget it.“The behaviour of some people during the season, that is what hurts me most.“It’s not my person that is hurt but the impeccable image of the club around the world.“That kind of behaviour does not reflect what Arsenal is.” Wenger and Sanchez after the Cup finalLondon, United Kingdom | AFP |  Arsene Wenger has told Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke he will accept the Premier League club’s offer of a new two-year contract, according to reports on Tuesday.Wenger met Gunners majority shareholder Kroenke and chief executive Ivan Gazidis on Monday to discuss his future before his contract expires next month.The 67-year-old has been heavily criticised this season, with Arsenal fans calling for his resignation after their team failed to qualify for the Champions League for the first time in 20 years.Suggestions that Arsenal may insist on hiring a director of football to work with Wenger had sparked claims the Frenchman was considering ending his 21-year reign.But after leading Arsenal to an impressive 2-1 FA Cup final victory over Premier League champions Chelsea with Kroenke watching from the stands on Saturday, Wenger had hinted he was willing to stay.And the Daily Mail and Daily Mirror reported Wenger has informed American tycoon Kroenke, who remains a firm supporter of his manager, that he wants to remain in charge of the north London club.A formal announcement of Wenger’s new contract is expected to come on Wednesday.“The club are planning to make an announcement on Wednesday afternoon,” a spokesman said after refusing to confirm the reports of Wenger’s decision.Wenger, who has won three Premier League titles and a record seven FA Cups with the Gunners, will attend an Arsenal board meeting on Tuesday when the contract should be rubber-stamped.Wenger will outline his plans for close-season signings and while there may still be some tinkering with his backroom staff it will not be without his approval.Gazidis would still like to bring in a sporting director to coordinate issues ranging from scouting and medicine to youth development and analytics.But Wenger has been told he will retain control of the key areas of team selection and transfers.– Tough task –With his reign set to reach 23 years if he sees out the new deal, Wenger has a chance to salvage what was in danger of becoming a tarnished reputation.First on his to-do list will be making improved contract offers to Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil.The unsettled Arsenal stars are holding out for weekly wages of around £300,000 ($385,000) per week with their present deals due to expire at the end of next season.With no Champions League football to offer to potential new recruits, Wenger still faces a tough task to win the Premier League for the first time since 2004. Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Stacey Dash arrested in Florida on domestic violence charges

first_imgActress Stacey Dash has been arrested in Florida after an physical altercation according to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office.Dash was arrested Sunday around 7:45 pm at a home she owns in the area.Authorities say they were called to the home after Dash and a male got into an argument and Dash was said to have pushed and slapped him.Responding officers reported that the victim had scratches on his arm.While not much is known about the case at this time, TMZ is reporting that the male victim is Dash’s husband of one year and that he is a lawyer.TMZ also reported that the source they spoke to told them that the actress claims she was acting in self defense.Dash was taken into custody where she’s currently being held on $500 bail. According to the report, in some case local authorities hold people for a 24-hour cooling-off period.last_img read more

People: Casey Anthony Wants to be a Mom, Again

first_imgAnthony began dating a man last year, but the relationship has cooled. “She wasn’t ready to settle down,” the source says.But now, Anthony is considering what her future could be. “Marriage, family, the white picket fence,” says the source. “In some ways, that’s very appealing to Casey. She’d want things to be less dysfunctional than the family she had growing up, but she likes the idea of stability.”Sources tell People Anthony is a different person now. One of the most notorious moms in Florida history may want another child.People.com reported last week that 33 year old Casey Anthony who was acquitted of murdering her first child wants to be a mom again.Anthony who now lives in West Palm Beach was found not guilty of killing her daughter, Caylee, about a decade ago in Orlando.last_img read more

England internationals bid for Turkish title

first_img Three members of the England team that beat France earlier this month, Jack Hiluta (Chelmsford, Essex), Neil Raymond (Corhampton, Hampshire, IoW & CI) and Toby Tree (Worthing, Sussex), plus Ben Taylor (Walton Heath, Surrey), another international, will represent England Golf in the Turkish Open Amateur Championship at Antalya on 31st May – 3rd June. The 72-hole stroke play event is being played over two courses on the Turkish Riviera, at Antalya in Serik and over the Cornelia course in Belek. The event is normally staged in September but has been brought forward because the region’s courses will be the venue for this year’s World Golf Championships for the Eisenhower Trophy in October. Hiluta, (picture © Tom Ward) who will celebrate his 23rd birthday on 28th May, is the newly-crowned Spanish Amateur champion, having won the title at Alcanada in March. A graduate of the University of South Alabama, Hiluta made his full England debut against the French having been England boys’ captain in 2007. The former boy cap reached the quarter finals of the British Boys that year; in 2011 he finished tied third in the Berkshire Trophy. Raymond, 26, enjoyed a successful 2011 in which he won the Brabazon Trophy at Burnham & Berrow and became a full England international. He also played in the victorious Home Internationals team and followed up with inclusion in the European Nations Championship and against France recently. He was also successful in Australia over the winter, winning the New South Wales Medal in a playoff while enjoying several other high finishes. Taylor, 19, made his full England debut in last year’s Home Internationals and is a member of the current England squad. In 2010 he won the South East Junior Championship, the South of England Boys Championship and the Daily Telegraph Junior Championship. He also enjoyed a successful 2011, finishing second in the South East of England Links Championship, third in the Lagonda Trophy and reaching the last 16 of the English Amateur. He recently finished third in the Jones Cup in the United States when representing England Golf. Tree, who will turn 18 on 3rd June, is a former England under 14 and under 16 champion. He has also been capped at under 16 and boys levels before become the youngest member of England’s team against France. A consistent performer at national and international level, he won the Sir Henry Cooper Junior Masters in 2011 and earlier this year won the Gauteng North Open in South Africa. He was also a member of England’s European Nations Championship squad. 21 May 2012 England internationals bid for Turkish title last_img read more

SANTA ANITA TO OFFER EXPANDED 10-RACE HOLIDAY CARD ON MONDAY WITH ADJUSTED FIRST POST TIME OF 12 NOON

first_imgARCADIA, Calif. (Jan. 13, 2017)–Santa Anita Park will offer fans and horsemen an expanded 10-race holiday program this Monday, Jan. 16, with an adjusted first post time of 12 noon.  The post time adjustment is necessitated due to the availability of daylight, with sunset at 5:07 p.m. PST.The track, which picked up some added equine inventory as a total of eight races were cancelled on Thursday due to heavy rains, is thus able to offer an additional race on Monday, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.Monday’s main event will be the Grade III Megahertz Stakes, for older fillies and mares at one mile on turf.  Although Santa Anita has received approximately seven inches of rainfall from recent storms, the National Weather Service forecast for Monday is for sunny skies with a high of 64 in Arcadia.Entries for Monday’s 10-race card are being taken this morning at Santa Anita.  For scratches, late changes, surface condition updates and complete morning line information, please visit santaanita.com.With first post time on Monday set for 12 noon, admission gates will open at 10 a.m.last_img read more

President Sirleaf Congratulates Brazil on 194th Independence Day

first_imgPresident Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has conveyed a message of warmest congratulations to the Government and people of the Federative Republic of Brazil on the commemoration of the 194th Independence Anniversary of that country.September 7, commonly called Sete de Setembro, is celebrated each year as Brazil’s declaration of Independence from the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves on September 7, 1822. According to a Foreign Affairs Ministry release, President Sirleaf in her message to Micheal Temer, Interim President of the Federative Republic of Brazil, expressed ardent hope that the two countries will spend some time during this anniversary to recount the deepened collaboration they continue to enjoy and to chart a new course that further strengthens the cordial existing ties between their two countries.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Redwoods men advance to tourney title game, ‘Woods women pick up road-win

first_imgMen’s college basketball: Redwoods 83 Sac City 67Zac Claus scored 21 points and the College of the Redwoods men’s basketball team took care of business in the semifinal-round of the John Hogue Memorial Tournament, beating Sacramento City College 83-67 Friday night in Ukiah.Redwoods scored 53 points in the first-half alone and led 60-30 early in the second-half.“Zac has shown a lot of leadership at this tournament,” Redwoods head coach Ryan Bisio said. “He’s having a very memorable …last_img

Spar looks to expand in Africa

first_img14 July 2011South African wholesaler The Spar Group, which already has stores in Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Swaziland and Zimbabwe, is considering further business opportunities in Africa, Business Report reported on Wednesday.The group would tailor its business model to expand into other territories, but any expansion outside South Africa would be done cautiously, chief executive of the JSE-listed group, Wayne Hook, said.“We will expand elsewhere in Africa, but we will take it step by step. We are not going to rush it.“Our model for expansion in Africa needs to be tailored, so it may not be true wholesale.”He said that the group was looking at a few countries, but as a wholesaler it could not invest R300-million to R400-million in a distribution centre without the store base to supply.The Spar Group is a wholesaler that distributes to independent retailers who own and operate about 850 Spar stores in South Africa and southern Africa, and who are part of a voluntary trading association.Outside South Africa the group has stores in Namibia, Botswana and Swaziland and owns a 35 percent stake in a Zimbabwean business that operates 68 Spar stores. It recently opened a Spar and a Build-It in Mozambique.Hook said the group would continue with its expansion in southern Africa before it looked further north.It was considering Angola, but “we need to find someone there we can work with”.South African Press Associationlast_img read more

Faugheen overturns form book to secure trainers’ title for Willie Mullins

first_imgThank you for your feedback. Quick guide Racing tips for Friday 27 April Hide This was the moment when Willie Mullins secured his trainer’s title for another year, since he had the first three home, and he followed up with Footpad, who enjoyed a facile success in the Ryanair Novice Chase. Mullins now leads Gordon Elliott by more than €400,000, having trailed by a similar margin on Tuesday morning.Evidently even the Carlow man could not have expected such a revival from Faugheen, having witnessed a thoroughly depressing piece of work from the horse on Saturday. “I don’t know how slow he came up,” said Mullins, who watched next to his injured jockey, Ruby Walsh. “We just looked at one another and turned away from the gallop and said, well, we’ll run him anyhow.”The winning owner, Rich Ricci, has become accustomed to greater success than he has enjoyed this winter but said this made up for a lot. “The ball hasn’t bounced our way all season and to have something like this with a great horse … it means everything.” news Reuse this content Show Was this helpful? Willie Mullins Horse racing tips Horse racing Since you’re here… Read more Share on Facebook Perth 1.30 Floral Bouquet 2.05 Thorpe 2.40 Rons Dream 3.15 Our Lucas 3.45 Kings Eclipse 4.15 Mill Forge 4.45 Cultram Abbey 5.15 Imperial AcolyteDoncaster 1.40 Knightly Spirit 2.15 Jessinamillion (nb) 2.50 Nibras Again 3.25 Azpeitia 3.55 Character Witness 4.25 Major Pusey 5.00 Angel Gabrial 5.35 Edge Of The WorldSandown 1.50 Kings Shield 2.25 What About Carlo (nap) 3.00 Chilean 3.35 Addeybb 4.05 Diamond Dougal 4.35 Highgarden 5.05 Glencadam MasterTowcester 4.40 Totterdown 5.10 Indian Hawk 5.40 Bertie Barnes 6.15 Bennys Girl 6.50 After Aspen 7.20 Bredon Hill Lad 7.55 Yellow DocketsChepstow 4.50 Indian Hercules 5.20 Hollywood Ken 5.50 Dauphine Ereine 6.25 Mortens Leam 7.00 Tinkers Hill Tommy 7.35 Heresmynumber 8.05 Lad Of LuckTips by Chris Cook. Share on Messenger Faugheen defeat only disappointment on great day for Willie Mullins Share on WhatsApp Support The Guardian Share on LinkedIn Paul Townend recovers from calamity to regain winning touch in ‘unreal’ style Share on Pinterest Share on Twitter Read more Failing to respect a former champion can be very expensive. Punters allowed Faugheen to start as the 11-2 third-favourite for the Stayers Hurdle here, while the jockeys on his dozen rivals allowed him to pinch a healthy lead when the tape went up and all looked a trifle foolish when he romped home 13 lengths clear.Aged 10 and without a win to his name since November, Faugheen was supposed to be a back number and there was speculation that this might be his final race if he failed to show any of the old spark. But being allowed to bowl along in front against three-milers suited him perfectly and he returned to the warmest welcome of the week. Both Ricci and Mullins seem prepared to at least think about sending Faugheen novice-chasing in the autumn, which is certainly not the orthodox thing to do with a 10-year-old ex-Champion Hurdler. But anyone who thinks they can teach Mullins something about the game will have to pick a different week.Elliott put on a brave face, his only success on the day having come in a handicap hurdle.“That shows the man Willie Mullins is,” said. “We just have to keep our heads up and keep smiling.” Topics Share via Email … we have a small favour to ask. More people, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we made the choice to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We hope you will consider supporting us today. We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.last_img read more