Former garda reserve charged with fraud

first_imgAdvertisement Print Facebook NewsBreaking newsFormer garda reserve charged with fraudBy admin – October 17, 2013 899 Linkedin Report by Andrew CareySign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A COMPLEX and lengthy investigation is underway concerning a former member of the Garda Reserve in connection with allegation of fraudulent claims made for job seekers allowance,38-year-old Cameroonian, Charles Eyombo, with an address at Bru Na Gruadan, Castletroy is charged with making gain through loss or deception contrary to section 6 of the theft and fraud offences act 2001.It is alleged that the former garda reserve who served in Shannon, presented to the Department of Social Protection on Dominick Street, Limerick on February 20, 2013 and signed on for Jobseeker’s Allowance and failed to notify the Minister of a change in his circumstances.Sgt Donal Cronin told Limerick District Court that the directions of the DPP were being sought and asked for a lengthy adjournment due to the complex nature of the investigation. Judge Eugene O’Kelly heard that the matter is alleged to span a “number of years”.Dates from August 2009 to March of this year are understood to be under investigation for a defraud totalling in the region of €36,000.The matter, which first appeared before the courts earlier this summer, was put back to February 19 next year.center_img Twitter Email WhatsApp Previous articleParamedic to be sentenced for video recording woman in toiletNext articleTerrible secrets of abuse at Limerick family guesthouse adminlast_img read more

Vicky Phelan wants public service managers to be made accountable

first_imgLinkedin Email WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Facebook NewsHealthVicky Phelan wants public service managers to be made accountableBy Bernie English – October 17, 2018 2339 TAGSCervical CheckhealthLimerick City and CountyNews Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students Printcenter_img TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Housing 37 Compulsory Purchase Orders issued as council takes action on derelict sites Previous articleJoe Coleman breaks the rapids with a remarkable new bookNext articleLIVESTREAM: County SFC and JAFC Finals Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Vicky PhelanPhotographer – Paul Sherwood [email protected] LIMERICK woman who exposed the CervicalCheck scandal says that new laws are needed to enshrine management-level accountability in the public service.Vicky Phelan was speaking at the launch this week of a new support group set up with Lorraine Walsh and Stephen Teap, named 221+ after the number of women who have been affected by false-negative smears and withheld information.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The three were on hand for the launch of the new group at Farmleigh in the Phoenix Park, Dublin.Ms Phelan said she did not want to see a commission of investigation “as it would drag on for years and no-one would be accountable in the end. “We’re living in a country where people can get away with things at a management level and not be held accountable,” said Ms Phelan, who exposed the issue by refusing to sign a confidentiality agreement on getting a court settlement against the US laboratory which read the failed smear tests.“Until we start fighting and jumping up and down to try to get it, we’re not going to get accountability. We can’t sack people in this country.”The mother-of-two said that if the campaign she started helps other victims, that gives her a sense of purpose.She also paid tribute to her fellow campaigners. “There isn’t a chance in hell that I would be standing here without Stephan Teap and the other women and families who have been affected by this”, she said.  221+ will offer an opportunity for those affected by the scandal to support each other as well as advocate for change in the health service. “One of the things I will be looking at is legislation for accountability, not just in the health sector but across the public sector and the civil service because we just don’t have it in this country,” she said.Meanwhile, the proposed establishment of a private tribunal to deal with claims arising from the CervicalCheck scandal received a cautious welcome from the 221+ group although it was disappointed Taoiseach Leo Varadkar’s commitment to a “totally non-adversarial” process was not followed through.The tribunal, similar to court proceedings but held behind closed doors, was proposed by Judge Charles Meenan in a Government-commissioned report.Ms Phelan urged Health Minister Simon Harris to provide assurances on how the adversarial nature of such a process can be minimised.”Her solicitor Cian O’Carroll, who is also representing several other of the women affected by the scandal, said it added to the choice of options open to his clients.“The problem is the tribunal is in private and it shields the State and labs from the public knowing about negligent errors. Women must also prove their case in an adversarial system,” he said. Limerick on Covid watch list Advertisement Local backlash over Aer Lingus threatlast_img read more

Nearly $1 million in COVID-19 relief funding open for Binghamton applicants

first_imgYou can apply for the relief funding by calling 211. (WBNG) — On Monday, Binghamton Mayor Rich David announced Binghamton residents who need rent, utility and residential mortgage assistance due to the pandemic can apply for federal relief funds beginning Aug. 31. Mayor David says the pandemic has left countless families in difficult situations. The funds will be available in mid-September. $490,000 for homelessness prevention$250,000 for rent and utility assistance$250,000 mortgage assistance “This federal CARES Act money will go directly to Binghamton residents and property owners affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, helping to pay rent, mortgage or utilities so individuals and families can stay in their homes,” said Mayor David in a news release. The city says it has earmarked $991,000 of federal CARES Act funds for housing, including:last_img read more