Prime Minister the Most Hon. Andrew – Unemployment at Record Low

first_imgPrime Minister the Most Hon. Andrew – Unemployment at Record LowPrime Minister th Most Hon. Andrew Holness says Jamaica’s unemployment rate has declined to a record low 9.6 per cent, as at the end of January 2018, down from the 10.4 per cent out-turn for the October to December 2017 quarter.The figures, provided by the Statistical Institute of Jamaica, (STATIN) also show that the unemployment rate of 9.6 per cent in January 2018 was a decrease of 3.1 per cent when compared with 12.7 per cent in January 2017.The Prime Minister made the announcement during the launch of Workers’ Week and National Labour Day activities for 2018, at the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) on May 1.Mr. Holness said of note is the decline in youth unemployment, which fell to 23.8 per cent as at the end of January 2018, down from 31.7 per cent for the corresponding period last year.He further pointed out that the unemployment rate among male youth fell by 4.7 percentage points to 20.4 per cent, while citing the 4.9 per cent decline in the female rate from 17 per cent in January 2017 to 12.1 per cent as at January 2018.Meanwhile, Mr. Holness also reported significant investments and development interest in business process outsourcing, tourism and hospitality, services, mining, construction and civil development.last_img read more

Former Navy man accused of fatally stabbing wife pleads not guilty to

first_img Ashlie Rodriguez, February 14, 2018 Posted: February 14, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Ashlie Rodriguez center_img Former Navy man accused of fatally stabbing wife pleads not guilty to murder charge 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) — A former Navy man accused of fatally stabbing his wife, whose decomposing body was found in San Diego Bay in 2016 after she had been missing for two years, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to a murder charge.Matthew Scott Sullivan, 32, is charged in the death of 31-year-old Elizabeth Sullivan.The defendant was arrested last month at his home in Delaware and extradited to San Diego. He was ordered held on $2 million bail.San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan said the victim — a mother of two young children — was in an abusive relationship with her husband and was the process of leaving him when she was killed in October 2014.Stephan alleged that the defendant hid the body somewhere for years until it was discovered in the water near the couple’s Liberty Station home on the day movers were at the home. Matthew Sullivan left the Navy and ultimately moved to Delaware where he started a new life and was in a new relationship, prosecutors said.After the defendant moved out of the Liberty Station home, a bloody knife with the victim’s blood on it was found in the attic and blood was located under the carpet, prosecutors said.The defendant faces 26 years to life in prison if convicted. He will be back in court March 1 for a status conference. Updated: 10:39 PMlast_img read more

GSA to Hold Second Auction for WVa Navy Facility

first_img Dan Cohen AUTHOR The General Services Administration (GSA) plans to hold a second auction for a former communications facility run by the Navy in the Potomac Highlands of West Virginia after the winning bidder in an online auction was unable to complete the transaction.That auction closed in July with a high bid of $11.2 million for Sugar Grove Station submitted by an unidentified buyer. When that bidder entered the contest two days before it closed, the price had reached $6.95 million.The second auction will be a sealed bid competitive sale, with the bid opening date scheduled for early November, according to a press release. GSA expects to conduct an open house in mid-October.The 122-acre Navy base closed in September 2015, eliminating one of Pendleton County’s largest employers and the state’s only active-duty military installation. It once supported up to 450 personnel and their families in a self-contained community which includes residential housing among its 105 buildings. The campus is located within a National Radio Quiet Zone.The site is “ideal for a corporate training center, a university or academic campus, a spa/clinic, movie studio or mountain resort,” according to GSA.last_img read more