Syracuse walks-off against Virginia Tech for the second straight game in 2-1 win

first_imgThe situation seemed eerily similar. Going into the bottom of the seventh inning, Sammy Fernandez and Alicia Hansen knew how the final plays could develop.“Walk-off time.” Hansen told Fernandez.“Maybe it’s your turn,” Fernandez responded.That inning started with two outs. But Fernandez singled, and then scored on a single from Hansen after an error. It resulted in a 2-1 Syracuse (29-18, 9-10 Atlantic Coast) win over Virginia Tech (19-33, 5-18 Atlantic Coast), the second time in as many days that the Orange walked off against the Hokies. The victory came after six innings of offensive struggles from the Orange, but the game was kept close until Hansen’s single.“Right when the inning started I looked to everyone and said, ‘Please let me get up,’” Hansen said. “I knew I could win it. I don’t feel pressure.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe game developed nearly identical to SU’s 3-2 walk-off victory on Friday. In both games SU struggled to create offense until the bottom half of the seventh inning. Adding to the similarities, both games ended on a line-drive single to left field in which the outfielder overran the ball, letting it slip under their glove.Over the last 12 games prior to Friday’s contest, Syracuse had scored five or more runs in 10 of them. The struggles that SU have had offensively in this series aren’t common for an Orange team that ranks third in the ACC in total runs scored.“Last weekend we scored ten against (North Carolina) and lost, then we scored two against (Virginia Tech) and won,” head coach Mike Bosch said. “There’s only one thing at the end of the day that matters and that’s winning at the end of the game.”Bosch added that he does enjoy walk-off victories a lot, even if his team playfully teased him for his celebratory antics, hopping up and down with his arms high in the air, after both wins. But he also says that he wants the team to take more advantage offensively earlier in the game and that the team should not wait for the seventh inning to get things going.SU showed signs of making good contact all game long. The team swung on a lot of first pitches and challenged the Hokies by putting the ball in play. Virginia Tech responded with sound defensive plays which Fernandez says “robbed” the Orange of a few better hits.“We hit a lot of hard balls today, (Jessica Heese) had a really hard hit ball and (Hannah Dossett), (Hansen) had two hard ones that got robbed,” Fernandez said. “We hit well, it was just right at them. We were unlucky today.”Fernandez, who scored the final run, knew that she had as important an opportunity to make a play as Hansen did. Immediately when she got on base, Bosch yelled to her that she needed to always have a mentality to score. And if the ball landed in the gap, she was going to be on home plate.Bosch said that he was confident with the situation after Fernandez, who holds the Syracuse record for hits in a single season with 70, got on base. She is one of SU’s best runners and Bosch said that Syracuse was fortunate that she was on base at that point of the game.“As I was rounding second I was looking for Bosch and I caught him early, he was waving me home,” said Fernandez. “I was just trying to book it as fast as I could around the bases.”After she crossed the plate she quickly embraced her teammates and Hansen, the one who brought her home.“I wanted it.” Hansen said.And she got it. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on April 29, 2017 at 4:59 pm Contact Michael: mmcclear@syr.edu | @MikeJMcClearylast_img read more

UFC 244: Conor McGregor reacts to the reveal of ‘Baddest MF belt’

first_img Written By ALSO READ | Reward up to $30K for stepdaughter of missing UFC fighterDwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, a WWE Legend and one of Hollywood’s biggest stars, will be presenting the winner of the match with the ‘Baddest MF’ title. Johnson also let a media outlet know about his excitement for the fight and mentioned how it is a fun concept that will make the atmosphere ‘electrified’. The five-round fight will begin at 7:30 AM IST on November 3. The fight can be watched on Sony TEN 2 and also live-streamed on Sony LIV. SUBSCRIBE TO US As the world prepares for Sunday morning’s Jorge Masvidal vs Nate Diaz fight at the Madison Square Garden, the UFC has revealed the ‘Baddest MF’ title belt. Conor McGregor took to Twitter to react to the championship in typical Conor McGregor fashion. Let us take a look at the belt and what McGregor had to say.ALSO READ | UFC: Conor McGregor could face legal charges for pub brawl in AprilThe UFC reveals a legitimate beltThe Baddest MF title is a one-off title which will be given to the winner of the main-event bout between Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal at UFC 244 on November 2. The fight has been hyped up since September and fans just can not get enough. On Saturday, the UFC posted a photo of the title on Twitter. 10 months ago UFC 244: Where to watch, schedule and live streaming details WE RECOMMEND ALSO READ | UFC 244: A sneak peek of BMF belt ahead of Diaz vs Masvidal clashConor McGregor quote retweeted the photo on his own Twitter asking for the belt to be ‘spit-shined.’ He later tweeted that he needs one of those belts made for him too. According to a news portal, McGregor has also claimed that he designed the belt which will be fought for at the MSG. Last Updated: 2nd November, 2019 14:24 IST UFC 244: Conor McGregor Reacts To The Reveal Of ‘Baddest MF Belt’ The UFC shared a picture of the BMF title which will be presented to the winner of the title-card of UFC 244, Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz. Read further. 10 months ago UFC 244 Preview: BMF Showdown; The Rock, Donald Trump and more 10 months ago UFC 244: Darren Till faces visa issues; Gastelum refuses backup FOLLOW US ALSO READ | UFC 244: Darren Till faces visa issues; Gastelum refuses backup First Published: 2nd November, 2019 14:24 IST WATCH US LIVE LIVE TV Mrigank Pandey 10 months ago UFC: Conor McGregor could face legal charges for pub brawl in April COMMENT 10 months ago Conor McGregor: Dana White reveals Donald Cerrone as his next opponentlast_img read more

Coronavirus: No professional sport in England until 1 June at earliest

first_imgNo professional sport, even behind closed doors, will be staged in England until 1 June at the earliest, the UK government has announced.The government has published a 50-page guidance document detailing how England will begin to ease lockdown measures.Step two of that plan – which will not be allowed to start before 1 June – includes “permitting cultural and sporting events to take place behind closed doors for broadcast, while avoiding the risk of large-scale social contact”.The document states that reopening venues that attract large crowds, such as sports grounds, “may only be fully possible significantly later depending on the reduction in numbers of infections”.Premier League clubs are meeting on Monday to continue discussions on Project Restart.The top flight has been suspended since 13 March because of the coronavirus pandemic but is aiming to resume in June, with 92 fixtures left to play.There will be no cricket played in England and Wales until at least 1 July, following a decision by the England and Wales Cricket Board.British horse racing had hoped to resume behind closed doors later this month, having been on hold since 17 March.Premiership Rugby is aiming for a resumption in early July, with nine rounds of matches remaining.Under proposed rules for boxing to resume behind closed doors in July, fighters at British shows will wear protective masks during ring walks and could be banned from using a spit bucket between rounds.The government’s current aim is to introduce step two on 1 June but only if sufficient progress is made in “successfully controlling the spread of the virus” and the lifting of restrictions could be delayed.Do we know when fans will be able to return?It is unclear when spectators may be able to attend sporting events again.Under step three of the plan, which will not start until 4 July at earliest, the government is aiming to reopen some of the remaining businesses that have been forced to close, including hospitality and leisure facilities.However, it adds: “Some venues which are, by design, crowded and where it may prove difficult to enact distancing may still not be able to reopen safely at this point, or may be able to open safely only in part.“In order to facilitate the fastest possible reopening of these types of higher-risk businesses and public places, the government will carefully phase and pilot reopenings to test their ability to adopt the new Covid-19 secure guidelines.“The government will also monitor carefully the effects of reopening other similar establishments elsewhere in the world, as this happens.”The document also states that “only the development of a vaccine or effective drugs can reliably control this epidemic and reduce mortality without some form of social distancing or contact tracing in place.” Source: BBClast_img read more

Smithsonian exhibit opens at Alcona County Library

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisHarrisville — The Smithsonian’s traveling museum exhibit ‘Water/Ways’ takes over the Alcona County Library’s Harrisville branch now until December 28.The display features 5 world/national panels with interactive items all dealing with the importance of water on culture, life, ecosystem, etc. 3 of the panels focus on Michigan water and how the region utilizes their bodies of water. 1 panel is exclusively dedicated to Alcona County.The process of getting the traveling museum to the library took just over a year with a grant application and a lot of persistence by the library administration. Now that it’s all put together, Library Director Denise Bearre can watch folks enjoy all of the hard work that went into bringing this spectacle to the sunrise side.“It’s beautiful, a lot of good information on how people feel and use water… and history…and just all kinds of information,” laughed Bearre.The library celebrated with a party Friday night, inviting speakers and folks to marvel at the new display. Docents were on hand to guide people through the exhibits and lead conversations with visitors. Only six sites in Michigan were selected to host the display.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: Alcona, Alcona County Library, Exhibit, Harrisville, Lake Huron, MICHIGAN, Michigan Humanities Council, National Exhibit, Smithsonian, water, Water/WaysContinue ReadingPrevious Second-grader sent to hospital in playground incidentNext Police Investigating the Death of a Man Found Dead in Lewiston Arealast_img read more

Parsons: Doc Rivers could leave Clippers if Donald Sterling remains owner

first_imgHe added that numerous sponsors have told him they will stick with the Clippers only if Sterling is no longer the owner.“If Doc would leave, that would be a disaster,” Parsons said.The interim CEO also expressed concern that players could leave the team if Sterling remains the owner, and said he has had conversations with team captain Chris Paul, who also serves as the president of the National Basketball Players Association. Parsons did not disclose specifics of the conversations.Parsons also said that, if the sale drags on, it would be difficult to match the $2 billion price it fetched from former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. He called the winning bid a “knockout price,” comparing the purchase of the team to that of other trophy assets like a Fabergé egg.The $2 billion price can’t be justified on “any financial metric basis,” Parsons said, but its value was pushed up because Ballmer wanted to make a pre-emptive bid to shut out other prospective buyers. Clippers head coach Doc Rivers could leave the team if Donald Sterling remains its owner, interim CEO Dick Parsons testified Tuesday.Taking the stand for the first time in a probate trial that could determine ownership of the Los Angeles basketball franchise, Parsons said he has had three conversations with Rivers since being appointed as interim CEO in May.Each time, Rivers gave the same answer, telling Parsons “he doesn’t think that he wants to continue as coach” if Sterling retains control of the team he has owned since 1981. Sterling was banned from the NBA for life after the publication of racist comments he made to a female friend, but he has vowed not to sell the team.Calling Rivers a “father figure” for the team, Parsons said the departure of the veteran coach could accelerate the Clippers’ “death spiral” — resulting in a potential loss of key players, team sponsors, as well as season ticket holders. Rivers had agreed to a three-year deal with the team in June 2013. “If Steve goes away, I don’t know how you get to this number again,” Parsons said.Bank of America’s Anwar Zakkour, who advised on the sale, said in his own testimony, “I think we were doing back flips when we got the $2 billion bid from Mr. Ballmer.”Zakkour said Bank of America’s preliminary valuation of the franchise was $1 billion to $1.3 billion. A second evaluation based on very “aggressive” assumptions related to local and national television deals bumped the estimate up to $1.5 billion to $1.8 billion.Zakkour called the eventual $2 billion bid “nirvana.”Additionally, an earlier meeting between Donald Sterling and Ballmer on Monday night produced no signs that the longtime Clippers owner’s vow to fight the NBA for the rest of his life was softening. On Tuesday evening, Sterling filed a civil lawsuit against Shelly Sterling, the NBA, and others over Shelly’s actions related to LAC Basketball Club Inc., the Clippers’ corporation.“I don’t think there’s been much change in his position,” said Bobby Samini, an attorney for Donald Sterling.The lawsuit, filed in L.A. Superior Court, alleges that Shelly Sterling didn’t have the right to sell the team, said Matthew M. Hoesly, part of Donald Sterling’s legal team.Sterling had filed a federal lawsuit against the NBA in June seeking $1 billion in antitrust damages. The league can seize the team on Sept. 15 and vote to terminate Sterling’s ownership if the team is not sold, something Sterling said he wanted to happen during his testimony two weeks ago..The trial will resume Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. Donald Sterling’s attorneys plan to call Shelly Sterling back to the stand, as well as Dr. Jeffrey Cummings of the Cleveland Clinic.Staff writer Dakota Smith contributed to this report.center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

John Fox says Bears have had NFL’s worst offseason

first_imgFox, who also served as head coach for the Panthers from 2002-10 and the Broncos from 2011-14, is sure to draw eyerolls from Chicago fans. He posted a 14-34 record with the Bears before being fired at the end of the 2017 season.It’s also worth noting Fox was the team’s head coach when they cut their all-time leading scorer, kicker Robbie Gould.In Fox’s defense, though, the kicking situation in Chicago has been atrocious. The team is now left with Eddy Piñeiro and Elliott Fry after Cody Parkey and Chris Blewitt were cut. But Fox wasn’t alone, as former offensive lineman Damien Woody also singled out the Bears during the show.”Losing (defensive coordinator) Vic Fangio … I think is huge,” Woody said. “That Chicago Bears defense, it literally fueled their offense. It’s the identity of the Bears. And when you lose a talented defensive coordinator like that, I think there’s going to be some slippage there.” Whether Johnny Manziel plays in XFL ‘remains to be seen,’ Oliver Luck says Speaking during ESPN’s “NFL Live” on Monday, Fox shared his thoughts on his former team more than a year removed from his tenure at the helm.”I think when you’re going to play defense, you’re going to lean on takeaways to help a young offense, and you don’t have a kicker, a reliable kicker, that you’re going to need those points from after some of those turnovers,” Fox said, via the Chicago Sun-Times. “I think the kicking question is really big right now in Chicago. And I think that might be a problem for them in the season.” Related News Josh McCown retires after 16 NFL seasons, joins ESPN as analyst John Fox hasn’t been impressed by the Bears this offseason.In fact, the former Chicago coach and current ESPN analyst thinks they have had the worst offseason of any team in the league. Todd Gurley injury update: Trainer confirms ‘arthritic component’ to bothersome kneelast_img read more