This free Chrome extension can Simplify your Gmail

first_imgA former Gmail design lead believes his Chrome extension makes Gmail easier to use.  Chesnot/Getty Images As the old saying goes, if you want something done right, do it yourself. Michael Legget, a former design lead for Google who now works for Nori, has put that into practice when it comes to Gmail’s interface. Scrolling through his inbox was “like Lucky Charms got spewed all over the screen,” he told Fast Company in an interview published Thursday. To solve that problem, Legget created Simplify Gmail, a  free Chrome extension meant to, well, simplify Gmail. Here are a few tweaks you’ll see in Simplify:Left and right sidebars hidden behind menu buttons. A minimized search bar. Compose in the bottom right, similar to mobile interface.Calendar, Keep, Tasks condensed in the bottom right. Gmail logo in the top left gone.Google wasn’t immediately available for comment. Gmail launched in 2004, and since then has amassed more than 1.5 billion users per month. Earlier this month, Gmail became Google’s sole focus when it retired Inbox. Originally published April 26, 11:52 a.m. PT.Update, 12:12 p.m PT: Added more details. Internet Internet Mobile Comment 1center_img Tags Share your voicelast_img read more

MakeMyTrip files case against EaseMyTrip does brand nameidentical Google Adword infringe IPRs

first_imgA MakeMyTrip promotion campaign image. MakeMyTrip has hauled EaseMyTrip to court over the use of Google Adword ‘makemytrip’.The Delhi High Court will be deciding if the use of Google Adword identical to the competition’s brand name could possibly violate intellectual property rights (IPR). Travel portal MakeMyTrip has made Google a party to the case it has filed against EaseMyTrip over the Adword ‘makemytrip’. MakeMyTrip claims EaseMyTrip’s use of the Adword is in violation of the trademark law and has raised the cost of its Google Search Network advertisements. The court will be hearing the case on May 8.This is perhaps the first time that Google has been made a party to a legal suit by a major internet commerce company in India, according to a media report. MakeMyTrip claims the brand-name identical Adword that its rival uses makes it costlier for it to come on top for every search result on its own name. The Gurugram-based company listed on Nasdaq feels it is unfair when rivals bid for its name and divert traffic to their platform, the report on The Times of India says. Previously, the Competition Commission of India (CCI) had fined Google for ‘search bias’ and abuse of ‘dominant position’ following complaints from a matrimony website. “The competitive bidding on brand’s wordmark raises the cost per click on Google platform by up to three-to-four times,” the report quoted an unidentified industry executive as saying. MakeMyTrip has also taken up the matter with the government’s Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade during stakeholder consultations on draft e-commerce policy earlier this month, according to the report.Google has been made a party to a suit that MakeMyTrip has filed against EaseMyTrip over the use of Adword ‘makemytrip’.The court documents say EaseMyTrip was sent a cease and desist notice in September by MakeMyTrip but it did not respond to the notice and has continued using the ad-word “makemytrip,” according to the report. According to sources, MakeMyTrip India’s turnover for last year was Rs 2,760 crore, while it spent Rs 3,300 crore for brand promotion. “It’s fine for companies to bid for words like flight or travel but copying the full name of the brand is unfair and illegal. Since Google being part of the problem here, they have been made a party to it and if the court asks they have to appear in court to explain their stand,” a source said.EaseMyTrip, meanwhile, is planning to expand its hotel inventory to 1.5 million properties by June. The company said it currently hosts 300,000 hotels on its platform through different partners besides 12,000 directly contracted hotels, the report says. EaseMyTrip co-founders Nishant and Rikant Pitti told The Economic Times that Ease-MyTrip was planning to introduce IRCTC tickets on the platform by the end of the month, which could raise the bar for the competition. EaseMyTrip started operations in 2008 as a b2b business wherein it received deposits from offline travel agents to buy tickets in bulk from different carriers. Its rapid expansion and dextrous use of the digital marketing platform has begun posing problems for the competition.last_img read more

MS Dhoni called filth by Yuvraj Singhs father Yograj Singh

first_imgYuvraj’s father has once again lashed out at MS DhoniTwitterYograj Singh, father of retired Indian cricketer Yuvraj Singh is known for making strange comments. In the past, one of his diatribes was directed at Mahendra Singh Dhoni, whom he alleged, was responsible for his son’s career going downwards.However, in his latest intervention, Yograj has once again targeted Dhoni and has used language which is downright offensive. Expressing his anger at the retirement of Ambati Rayudu, the former India international lashed out at the Indian team management for, in his view, doing injustice to Rayudu. He also asked the latter to not fully retire from cricket and give a response to selectors who decided to ignore him.”Rayudu should’ve continued playing, more and more. He should’ve played Ranji Trophy, Irani Trophy, Duleep Trophy, scoring 100s, 200s, 300s with not outs. He still has a lot of cricket left in him,” Yograj said as per a report by news agency NNIS.But that wasn’t all, launching a direct attack on MSD, who isn’t captain of the Indian team currently, Yuvraj’s father went to the extent of calling him ‘filth.’ Rayudu was snubbed thrice by selectorsIANS”Rayudu, my son you took the decision in haste. Come out of retirement and show them what you are capable of. People like MS Dhoni will not remain forever, filth like these will not remain forever.”Rayudu, it can be recalled, had criticised the selectors in a thinly-veiled, sarcastic jibe for choosing Vijay Shankar instead of him when the original 15-man squad was announced. But further disappointment was going to meet the veteran Baroda and Hyderabad cricketer when he was again overlooked by selectors while picking a replacement for Shikhar Dhawan first and then, Vijay Shankar, both of whom got injured.Getting rejected thrice was too much for Rayudu and he promptly announced his retirement from cricket. However, this latest salvo fired by Yograj would not be looked upon nicely by most Indian cricket fans. While Dhoni is a senior player in the team, he hasn’t been the captain since early 2017 and the decision made by selectors cannot be attributed to him. It’s another expression of dislike that the 61-year old has for the World Cup-winning captain. The language used by him is, unfortunately, rather regrettable.last_img read more

Judge Blocks Texas Secretary Of State From Giving Voter Information To Trump

first_imgLAURA SKELDING / TEXAS TRIBUNEPeople wait in line at the George Washington Carver Library in Austin, Texas, to cast their vote on Election Day 2016.A Texas district judge has issued a temporary restraining order preventing Texas Secretary of State Rolando Pablos from handing voter information to President Donald Trump‘s voter fraud investigation commission.The order, which came out Tuesday, adds Texas to a growing list of states not complying with the president’s investigation into the 2016 elections, which Trump says suffered from large-scale voter fraud.Judge Tim Sulak of the Austin-based 353rd Texas Civil District Court issued the order in response to a lawsuit filed July 20 by the League of Women Voters of Texas, its former president Ruthann Geer and the Texas NAACP against Pablos and Keith Ingram, the Texas Elections Division director in the the secretary of state’s office. The lawsuit seeks to stop the state from handing over voter data from the state’s computerized voter registration files to the Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity. The suit argues that doing so would reveal voters’ personal information, “which may be used to solicit, harass, or otherwise infringe upon the privacy of Texas voters.”The secretary of state’s office didn’t immediately return a request for comment for this article.The League’s current president, Elaine Wiant, said the organization is especially concerned that releasing the data could make millions of voters’ personal information public, making it vulnerable to commercial use. Texas law forbids public voter information from being used commercially, but with the presidential commission, Wiant said “there is no guarantee how it will get used.” Wiant also said the League is concerned that releasing the data would make voters’ birthdates public.“In today’s world, that is just way too much information to be made available to the public,” Wiant said. “There are serious security concerns.”The order, which expires Oct. 17 or with further order from the court, says that handing over voter information could cause “irreparable” injury. Without “appropriate safeguards,” the order argues, the data is likely to become public, potentially violating voters’ privacy rights, their interests in “avoiding commercial solicitation, chilling of their First Amendment rights, and the diminution of their efforts to encourage voting.”Trump launched the commission by executive order in May following his unsubstantiated claim that “millions” of votes were cast illegally. The White House previously told The Texas Tribune that Trump “wants to ensure that the integrity of all elections, which are the cornerstone of our democracy, is preserved.”The commission sent requests on June 28 to all states’ secretaries of state for a wide array of voter information. Several states, led by both parties, immediately refused to hand over data, with Mississippi’s Republican Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann famously saying the presidential commission could “jump in the Gulf of Mexico.”Pablos, however, said at the time: “The Secretary of State’s office will provide the Election Integrity Commission with public information and will protect the private information of Texas citizens while working to maintain the security and integrity of our state’s elections system. As always, my office will continue to exercise the utmost care whenever sensitive voter information is required to be released by state or federal law.”The hearing for the suit is set for Oct. 16. Wiant said she was “cautiously optimistic” about the case.“It’s just hard to know,” she said. Sharelast_img read more